Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Not Falling For Fall

I always consider myself an early summer child as my birthday falls in early July, never mind that I live in the tropics and it’s summer here all year round! As such, my favourite seasons are spring and early summer. I probably am one of those few who are not a fan of autumn because despite its beautiful changing colours, I find autumn depressing.

I find it depressing when the leaves turn colour from green to red to brown before disentangling themselves from the trees. I find it sad to see dry leaves on the pavement. The changing wardrobe and make-up colours (admittedly I wear only lipstick) from the pale fresh colours of summer to berry, maroon and plum make me glum. It doesn’t lift my mood any when I step into stores and see plaid flannel tops. The increasingly shorter and colder days doesn’t improve autumn for me at all either. And varsity life in England started in September. Who wouldn’t be depressed to start a new academic year after a long summer break? So no, I don’t fall for autumn or fall as the Americans call it.

~~~~~~~~

Let me now touch on the much publicised and expensive burglary that happened early last week. I’m not a fan of Kim Kardashian or her family. I don’t watch their show, I don’t follow any of them on social media, and I really don’t care for them. I think Kim is trashy, vulgar and slutty (no amount of money, expensive bags and shoes can bring one class), I think she’s silly for sharing too much on social media (like I said, I don’t follow her but some of her tweets are reproduced elsewhere), I think she’s media-crazy and craves attention (even Karl Lagerfeld condemned Kim for being too public). But I have nothing really against her; I mean if she prefers to flaunt her assets (in whatever form) then by all means just do it.

I do think and know from experience that it sucks to be robbed, to have your precious things that you work so hard for stolen from you. Worse, she was alone in her apartment in a foreign country when it happened, defenceless and at the mercy of five armed robbers. I would be scared shitless too if it had happened to me when I’m all alone and abroad. Think how you would feel if your mother, sister, cousin or daughter suffer the same fate.

And that’s why I think it’s unwise to share too much on social media. You can share your blings and bags and shoes with the world (I love viewing expensive jewellery, shoes and bags myself) but don’t show where you live. Don’t share your boarding pass on social media because the bar code or QR code on the boarding pass can contain information about you, including your future travel plans or your frequent flyer details. Criminals can find out when you’ll be away and for how long and you wouldn’t want to come back from your trip or holidays to a burglarised house or stolen car, would you (my parents once returned from a trip to a burglarised house and they didn’t even partake in social media!). It happened here last year if I recall correctly when someone posted on Facebook that she and her family would be spending Eid abroad. So be sensible. There is such a thing as sharing too much. You might end up being a victim so think twice before you post. Unless you’re confident no one will be able to figure out where you stay or work, don’t post photos of your house, neighbourhood and workplace. Dont let yourself fall victim to criminals preying on the social media.