Thursday, September 15, 2016

Unlikely Heroes

I must say the Paralympians, particularly our Malaysian Paralympians, have really made us all sit up and pay attention. Oh sure, we were enthralled by our Olympians too (particularly badminton, diving and cycling athletes) and don’t get me wrong: I’m not belittling their efforts and achievement at all. But while I’m enthralled by them, I must say I’m amazed and fascinated with the Paralympians because of their achievements despite of their limitations.

I think we can all learn a few lessons from the Paralympians, e.g., their grit, strength, courage and determination to overcome all odds to realise their dreams, their never-say-die attitude, their perseverance, and their determination to succeed to name just a few. It takes a lot of guts and courage to be an athlete and even more for a Paralympian. Most people born with limitations as they were would probably just give up (heck, even able-bodied people would find it easy to just give up), would have low self-esteem, would have low self-confidence and lots of self-pity, and would find it only too easy to blame others and even God for their limitations. I’m sure they didn’t have an easy childhood or adolescence (they are after all easy pickings for cowardly bullies). This is probably why I’m more in awe of them than their Olympian counterparts. Look at Abdul Latif Romly: he had already broken the world record and had already been assured of a gold medal and yet he continued to jump further and better. If these Paralympians’ efforts and determination didn’t bring tears to your eyes, well, you’re indeed a tougher person than I am.

And look at how proudly they stood when Negaraku was played and how passionately they sang the national anthem with tears running down their cheeks. I can tell you of quite a few able-bodied Malaysians who complain, grumble and reluctantly stand when the national anthem is played and don’t expect them to sing along either. Why, I can tell you that some can’t even remember the lyrics to the national anthem what more to sing proudly to it! If able-bodied people don’t even have enough pride in themselves and love for their national anthem and country to sing the national anthem or at least to stand up when it’s played as a sign of respect, well, I say, fie and shame on you.





Thank you for these life lessons. Thank you for reminding us that we all have our role to play and that we should do what we love to the best of our ability. Thank you for reminding us to never give up, to chase our dreams, to not limit ourselves, to continue to challenge and better ourselves, to refuse to be a victim of our circumstances and instead rise above them despite all odds, to not succumb to excuses and self-pity, to be brave and courageous in overcoming whatever challenges life chooses to throw at us, to have belief in ourselves, to persevere, to fight on, to have guts and determination. From the bottom of my heart, I thank thee.