Friday, May 20, 2016

Adek’s Week Off: Part V

Thursday, 5 May 2016

I woke up early for morning prayers and stayed up. Even then, I found myself caught up in work emails and had to rush for my breakfast. What else is new, eh. I hurried to the train station to make the 07:36 train to La Spezia, well, as fast as I could with my hurting feet and all. This time, I managed to get the ticket and arrive at the platform in time. I was determined not to repeat yesterday’s episode again.

There was the usual slow train ticket-buying process at La Spezia again and of course I missed the 08:55 train to Riomaggiore. I decided to visit Manarola first and spent half an hour there before catching the train back to Riomaggiore. I spent longer at Riomaggiore, walking up and down the village, exploring alleys and even climbed up to the castle. It was a hazy day today compared to the bright sunny day of the previous day.

I left my heart in Riomaggiore and took the 11:25 train back to La Spezia. I was planning to take the 12:15 Regionale train to Firenze and was determined not to let the queue at La Spezia ticket office spoil my plans again hence why I arrived early. There were about two dozen people ahead of me in the queue and I began to time how long it’d take for me to be served. Surprisingly, it took only ten minutes for me to be served – but then again, two people ahead of me waved me through as they were waiting for their mates.

I bought the ticket and shuffled to the platform. The train came and it was quite full so I was glad to have gotten a seat. I read my book and even managed some kip. I had to change at Pisa and had less than ten minutes to do so. Well, it turned out I wasn’t the only one of course – I spotted a few familiar faces who were also on the train from La Spezia-Pisa train on the Pisa-Firenze train. The journey took an hour from Pisa and when I arrived at Firenze Santa Maria Novella station, I headed for the ticket office to buy the return ticket to Pisa. I was lucky as there was a separate (with hardly anyone) queue for regional trains so that was done quickly and before long, I found myself in sunny blustery Florence.

I had visited Florence twice before so I wasn’t really going to do much sightseeing. I waddled to Basilica di San Lorenzo then shuffled to Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore. I went around it slowly before heading to Ponte Vecchio. A bit of history: Ponte Vecchio is the oldest and most famous bridge spanning Arno River and is the only Florentine bridge to survive WW II. It is lined on both sides with shops, most of them jewellers and my, what gorgeous pieces they had! Florence is a great leather heaven if you’re looking for leather products: leather bags, jackets, shoes, belts and things made from leather like bookmarks, key charms, card cases, key holders, bracelets etc etc. I didn’t really stop to browse as I wanted to catch the 17:00 train back to Pisa.

I headed off to Piazza degli Strozzi where Louis Vuitton is and then to Hermès (ahem) and after my purchases, walked to the station about ten minutes away (my hurt-feet pace). I arrived at 16:45 and walked to the platform.

Back at the B&B after performing prayers, I dithered about going to Piazza dei Miracoli for the leaning Tower but my feet protested. I did consider walking in my flip flops (good idea I didn’t leave home without it!) but when I considered it would take 35 minutes to walk there, I decided not to. I don’t mind walking but my feet were protesting big time. Instead, I stayed in packing. I had dinner and hit the sack after 22:00.

Friday, 6 May 2016

I woke up at 04:00 today and after performing prayers and freshening myself, I went down with my bags and had breakfast. It was too early to have breakfast but I gotta eat something otherwise I might faint from lack of sugar. I left at 05:20 and walked to the station, as briskly as my hurting feet could take me. I had checked the platform and knew I must head to platform 5 for the train to Milano Centrale. There were a few others at the platform so I didn’t feel especially concerned about my safety, plus the dawn was about to break anyway.

And what do you know, the train was late. It finally arrived ten minutes later but left swiftly and we were able to make up the time and even arrived at Milano Centrale on schedule. I then walked to Central Hostel Milano at Viale Andrea Doria. Accommodation in Milan is not cheap – I can’t for the life of remember where I stayed on my first visit there some years ago – and I wanted a place close to the station. I finally settled on the hostel although I don’t prefer staying in a dormitory but I reckoned it was for a night only. There was a Polish girl already waiting at the reception to check in. Reception hours are 10:00-18:00 only hence why I decided to just check in and leave my bags rather than run the risk of arriving after 18:00 even though this meant limping from the station to the hostel and then back again to the station. My initial plan was to take the next train out to Mendrisio just across the border and come back later in the day and only check-in then.

Check-in took a while and the guy at the reception then brought us to the building right across the street. I tried connecting to the hostel’s wifi to check the train schedule but failed so I left after half an hour and shuffled back to the station where I checked the bus stop for the bus to Malpensa the following morning before buying return ticket to Mendrisio. I then sat down for the next 70 minutes for the train out. Well, I had my novel to occupy me.

There were two trains joined together and the second half of the train would stop at Chiasso while the first half would continue on – a kind girl explained this to me as the ticket conductor didn’t speak English - so I changed to the other train at Chiasso. The girl also helped to ensure I got on to the right carriage before leaving, how kind!

At Mendrisio, I crossed over and walked to FoxTown. I spent about a couple of hours there but nothing caught my interest. I tried finding some footwear to provide relief to my hurting feet – oh how I wished I had packed my FitFlops! – but couldn’t find anything at all. I left and caught an earlier train than planned back to Milano, this time making sure I got on the right carriage so that I didn’t have to change again like I did on the earlier journey.

Back in Milan, I trudged to Pizzeria Spontini at Via Gaspare Spontini as recommended by the hostel guy who checked us in and bought a slice of pizza to go (it was a generous slice). I returned to the hostel and had the pizza for early dinner. Oh. My. Word. It was superb!!! It only had tomatoes, flour, mozzarella cheese, olive oil andanchovies. And that was all it needed.

Saturday, 7 May 2016

I had an early night and woke up for no reason just after 3 and stayed awake. The sounds of Milan waking up grew gradually. I got up for morning prayers and finished packing. The Polish girl and I then walked to the station together and to the bus stop for the bus to Malpensa.

The trip took almost an hour and after checking in my bag, I went to the tax refund area. Oh my, the queue was just too long and too painfully slow. i had to ask some Chinese tourists ahead of me (most of them claiming tax refund were Chinese tourists anyway apart from the few Middle Easterners) and asked if I could cut in, showing my boarding pass and explaining I had to board in less than an hour. Ask nicely and you shall get and one guy allowed me to cut in. I was told, however, to go to the customs as they wanted to inspect all LV purchases so I ran over there, waited for the custom check and ran back to the counter. Then I ran to clear security, a quick visit to Hermès and finally immigration. Then it was yet another dash to the gate. I arrived at the gate panting and immediately boarded (I was among the last few).

We took off on time and I managed to doze off. I felt strangely warm and was perspiring throughout the flight. We landed at Abu Dhabi and had to be ferried to the main terminal. I went to check the Hermès boutique then went to perform prayers before heading to the food court where I would spend the next four hours. Yeah, somehow it didn’t register with me that I had seven hours’ layover at Abu Dhabi. Seven!

Sunday, 8 May 2016

We were ferried to the plane just after 01:20 and I dozed off during take-off. I did manage to doze off every now and then but was in no mood to watch any inflight movies. We landed at KLIA at 13:45 and as usual, I went to perform prayers first before heading for the carousel. My bag appeared shortly after and I was home at 15:45. I finished unpacking and cleaning the kitchen and dining area (sweeping, wiping, mopping whathaveyou) by 16:45. I had a short rest before getting up again to pump iron. Yes, back to life, back to reality...


And back to work the following morning.


Distance covered in the week I was away