Friday, April 22, 2016

El Niño Is A Problem Child

Today, I want to touch on one aspect of human nature: wastefulness. We do like to waste, don’t we. No matter how we try to deny it, admit it, we are wasteful. We never learn from past mistakes, we are extravagant, we don’t think about the consequences of our action, we don’t consider the impact on the environment.

I’m sure we all know that we’re going through a phase of long drought. Dry, unbearable weather. Hot and humid conditions, sweltering days and hot nights. It’s been going on for months now (last December was one with the shortest number of rain days I can recall) and it doesn’t look like it’ll improve anytime soon. And we’re not alone in facing this latest trial: Thailand, the Philippines, India, some African countries like Malawi and Ethiopia are all facing the effects of El Niño. (By the way, I don’t  know why the local media likes to say that Equinox is a phenomenon. Well, it isn’t, so stop saying that it is! Go and re-learn your lower secondary Geography yea). Schools in some northern states have closed for a number of days due to the hot weather and we hear about the declining water level in the dams around the country. Even if we’re not tuned in to the current news, surely we can feel the unbearable heat and see the browning of grass and lawns, the drying (and in some cases, dying) trees and plants and failing crops.

And yet, and yet, we continue on to waste that most precious resource of all: water. I observe this happening every day: at prayer rooms, at pantries, at washrooms, at my neighbours’. We don’t need a lot of water to perform ablutions, we don’t need to have the tap running while we wash up or brush our teeth, and surely we can skip the long showers and take shorter showers or better still, bathe from water stored in pails or buckets. We don’t have to wash the car or porch every so often. We should know better than watering the plant at noon or in the afternoon so turn off the sprinklers at those times. Water your plants in early morning or in the evening when the sun is down. Malaysians really need to start using less water. We consume a lot more water than our neighbours and much more than that recommended by the United Nations.

In many religions, water has a special meaning and is often at the beginning of creation accounts. Most religions emerged in water-scarce areas (think Judaism, Hindu, Christianity and Islam). In Islam, water as a precious gift of God has an impact on how people handle water: I should esteem it and not waste it; if it is a gift to me, then it is also a gift to my neighbour, and I should not deprive him of access. The Quran as well as the hadith (written collections of the words and deeds of Prophet Mohammed PBUH) make explicit statements on the duty to use water economically, equitably, with consultation of all stakeholders, and with respect for the environment. It is related that the Prophet once passed by his companion Saad who was washing for prayer and asked, ‘What is this wastage, Saad?’ The companion asked, ‘Is there wastage even in washing for prayer?’ and the Prophet responded, ‘Yes, even if you are by a flowing river!’ And yet Muslims here use way too much excessive water to perform ablutions! Come on, Islam forbids Muslims from being wasteful so can we stop wasting water unnecessarily already?



As for me, I ‘recycle’ the water that I use to soak my vegetables and fruit by watering some plants. I collect the water from ablutions and use it to flush my toilet (you don’t need a lot of water for flushing the toilet after you pee. If you notice, the smaller level on dual-flush toilets for flushing liquid waste dispenses only minimal water). I collect water in a bucket to cool it down (water from the tap can get too hot sometimes) and bathe from it. I never turn the tap on when I brush my teeth. I collect dirty dishes and wash them together in one go instead of washing as and when – this doesn’t mean my sink is overflowing with dirty dishes (I hate having my sink full of dirty dishes anyway) but I wash a few items together at one time and not piece by piece. There are a lot of ways where we can play our part to cut back and conserve water, some are here but I’m sure Mr Google has many more suggestions.

As hot as it gets, I try not to switch on the fan unless absolutely necessary. I use handheld fan to fan myself. I have a pair of good arms and hands and I am capable of that. This is part of my effort to conserve electricity, indirectly playing my part to reduce global warming. After all, everything is intertwined – energy use, fossil fuel-depletion, climate change, global warming... 


Happy Earth Day! Let’s change our attitudes today and start playing our part in caring for Mother Earth if we haven’t already. After all, handling climate change - and El Niño - is serious business and no child’s play. And let’s make it a continuous effort and not just during a drought and a particularly prolonged dry spell, shall we.