Friday, February 12, 2016

My Parts Unknown: Tanzania And Malawi: Episode II

Tuesday, 2 February 2016

I woke up just after midnight and couldn’t sleep thereafter. This would become my pattern in Africa for the duration of my stay. I finally got up at 06:00 to perform prayers. It started getting noisy as the dawn turn into morning and before long, I heard children’s voices, chattering excitedly.

I went down for breakfast after 08:30. It was a simple affair: a small banana and half of a dry orange followed by a plate of four slices of bread and a simple yokeless omelette. Alhamdulillah. I met a German bloke who was also travelling alone and he told me he paid USD720 for a 3D 2N safari package covering Arusha and Serengenti National Parks and Ngorongoro Conservation Area (if I heard correctly). That sounded very reasonable. Much more reasonable than USD650 for a 2D 1N safari that was quoted to me!

I set off to explore Stone Town after breakfast. I walked back out to New Mkunazini Road to take in the landmarks and then I set off in the direction of Darajani Market. I passed the Anglican Cathedral which was built on the where the site of the former slave market but didn’t enter. After taking photos, I continued on and turned left at Benjamin Mkapa Road where I was approached by a local who offered to take me on a tour for a fee (I declined him of course) and walked on to Darajani Market. This is the main market and bazaar in Stone Town. I braved myself and went in to take in the atmosphere. Everything was colourful and exotic. You can find practically everything there: fish, meat, vegetables, fruits, spices, baskets, dried fruits such as figs and dates, grains... I had a great time there despite the heat.


 Darajani Market from Benjamin Mkapa Road
Darajani Market


I then walked out and walked along the main road. There were some dala dalas there and while I did consider riding one, I decided it would be too hot and cramped being in one. And besides, I still had a lot to explore. I wandered around, getting lost in the alleys, stumbling onto new alleys and new sights. One lane led to another, one alley to another and before I knew it, I had reached Hurumzi area. I walked on into neighbouring Malindi and then crossed over to Azam Marine Office. Now, there are several sea ferry companies that ply the waters between Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam daily and I’d read that Azam Marine is the largest and most efficient. I had made a booking for a ticket on Friday, 29 January 2016, and I needed to exchange the booking voucher for a ticket and pay for it. The ticket cost USD35 (and yes, I paid in USD).



The Old Dispensary

  
After paying for my ferry ticket, I walked up to Malindi and the fish market. Just beyond was the sea and a crowd of people waiting for the fish to be hauled back from the boats. I went closer for a better look. It was an atmosphere alright. There were the fishermen shouting at the men walking chest-deep in the sea towards them with buckets in their hands or atop their heads. There were the men returning back to the shore with bucket(s) of fish in their arms. There was a lot of noise and it sounded like a carnival. What an atmosphere indeed and I felt very lucky to be there witnessing it. It may seem a normal daily occurrence to them but it looked and felt like a unique sight and experience to me. Sure, there was that almighty smell but hey, that’s part and parcel of an experience right. And besides, it wasn’t as if the smell would linger and stick onto my clothes. I stayed there transfixed and trying as hard and as much as possible to capture the scene with my camera.







I left after 15 minutes and walked around Malindi, trying to spot the guesthouses I had booked and subsequently cancelled. I then turned back and walked down Mizingani Road until I came upon The Palace Museum (Beit al-Sahel). There was an admission fee of TZS5,000 or USD3 so I paid in TZS of course. I spent 45 minutes there.


 The Palace Museum (Beit al-Sahel)
 From the first floor of the museum. See that powerful wave there


I continued down Mizingani Road to the House of Wonders (Beit al-Ajaib) – but before I reached it, what do you know, a man came up and walked with me, trying to persuade me to ask him to bring me around at a fee of course. I declined him. To shake him off, I turned and went to the waterfront to enjoy the view. Another bloke came up to offer me a tour at ‘local rate and not Mzungu rate’ as he put it (yes, different rates apply for most things with the locals paying a fraction of what the foreigners do). He warned me to be careful of the sea waves and true enough, I was showered almost immediately. I laughed out aloud in surprise and walked back to the House of Wonders. Now, the House of Wonders is the largest and tallest building in Stone Town and occupies a prominent spot facing Forodhani Gardens and flanked on either side by The Palace Museum and the Old Fort. It was the first building in Zanzibar to have electricity and also the first building in East Africa to have an elevator. Unfortunately, the museum is now closed due to disrepair. What a shame for it’s a fine old building from the outside. There are two 16th century Portuguese cannons at the massive entrance to the palace. If you come to or leave Zanzibar by ferry, this is one of the buildings on the seafront that you will see and identify so yeah, I was gutted that I was not able to step into it and discover its secrets within.

As I’d mentioned, the Old Fort is next to the House of Wonders. It’s the oldest building in Stone Town and was built in late 17th century to defend the island from the Portuguese. The courtyard has now been adapted to serve as a cultural centre. I chatted with the man at the tourist information desk and he advised me to book any trips with them as they were the authorised, registered and licensed tour operators and not with anyone who approached me. The packages were priced reasonably, well, definitely less than what the bloke at my lodge quoted! I asked for a guide book and left after thanking him.


 House of Wonders (Beit al-Ajaib)
The Old Fort and the House of Wonders


I crossed over to Forodhani Gardens and sat down for some snack, enjoying the sea breeze and watching the scene around me: solo Caucasian girls with their respective guide, Caucasian couples walking together holding hands, a group of tourists... it was a great place to people-watch. I reluctantly got up after half an hour and set off on a leisurely stroll down Mizingani Road and then Shangani Street, well as leisurely as it could be in the blazing heat of the early afternoon. The posh hotels are along Shangani Street. I then turned into an alley and wandered along (alleys provide shade and relief from the sea but are hotter as they block the winds and sea breezes from reaching you) until I stumbled upon the Hamamni Persian Baths and what do you know, it was actually very near my lodge. Before returning to my lodge, I went to a store at New Mkunazini Road to buy some mineral water and a pack of small plums.

I rested in my room before venturing out in the late afternoon. I wanted to plot a route to the ferry terminal and see how long it would take me to reach the ferry terminal on Thursday morning. So I walked out and after getting lost a few times in the alleys, I finally managed to plot a route. I decided to test it out again the following morning. I also stopped along the way to take pictures, including of cats (I have been taking a lot of pictures of cats of late). Of those cats, there was one kitten outside a shop which particularly stuck in my mind.


I think this kitten was an angel in disguise


I then found my way back to my lodge and ventured behind it to more previously undiscovered alleys. I returned to my room just before it turned dark. The locals seemed friendly and were happy to leave me alone (except for the occasional guides pestering me to hire them) but I didn’t fancy being robbed or snatched like in Beirut. I spent the rest of the evening reading and fell asleep with the book next to me.


To be continued