Thursday, December 03, 2015

How Do I Look?

We had two events last Thursday and I helped to meet and greet and usher the guests to the right venue. I couldn’t help being surprised at some of them who looked like they couldn’t be bothered about their appearance. Some looked like they just rolled out of bed. Some donned clothes like they were about to go marketing at the morning market. Some wore very casual clothes (jeans!). Some looked so sloppy, shabby, frumpy, untidy and drab. Did it give them a boost and any confidence dressing up like that? I just don’t understand why people can’t take a bit of effort to look nice and portray a good image. Surely dressing up nicely and grooming up speak volume about oneself.

And when I say dressing up nicely and grooming, I don’t mean that you have to spend a fortune to do so. We can all dress decently, neatly, smartly and, especially for work, professionally, without breaking the bank. For example, for work, invest in a few pieces of quality classic tops in neutral colours. I have a few tops from Isetan in-house brands (Cultivation, Crescendo) that are easily a decade old already which I still wear without them looking out-of-date at all - and they hardly cost me a bomb because being the savvy shopper that I am *ahem*, I only buy clothes on sale or value buy offers. You can then invest in some accessories to add more colour to your outfit. I wear long skirts to work almost daily and they are also from Isetan (Crescendo) and just like the blouse jackets, some of them are well over five years old but they still last to this day, alhamdulillah. Alas, Isetan doesn’t do a lot of long skirts anymore. I hand-wash my skirts and scarves as they are from more delicate softer material while for my jacket blouses, I put them in the laundry mesh bag before throwing them into the washing machine.

If you think I’m banging on too much about clothes, remember that clothes make a strong visual statement about how you see yourself. Comfort may aid productivity but the outfit you think express your individuality may send the message that you’re not a serious professional, or worse, immature. Dressing appropriately is a way of expressing respect for the situation and the people involved. For example, if you’re meeting a conservative banker or attending the court, dress primly and professionally. If you’re working in a conservative place, don’t dress like you’re about to go to the mall. You may look decent and neat and tidy but you’ll still look out of place. You don’t have to invest in many clothes; after all, the world’s successful people wear a uniform every day because of its benefits.

Besides clothes, don’t forget you have to own a pair or two or, if you can afford, a few pairs of good quality shoes. Again, I normally buy shoes during sales (my cobbler repeatedly scolds me for doing that but it’s against my principle to pay full price for most things if I can help it unless it’s anything from Louis Vuitton or Chanel which don’t do sale) and as such, I’m lucky to have found a good cobbler who comes to fetch and return my shoes that need repairing. Where possible, invest in leather shoes as they let your feet breathe. Oh, by the way I read somewhere before that ballerinas or flat shoes are not considered formal office wear. For some ideas of fashion investment, check this out.

I don’t know enough about men’s clothes to offer any advice but I would think a long-sleeved shirt, a good tie, a hanky, a quality leather belt and a good pair of quality leather shoes would give any man a professional groomed look. You can add on tie clips and invest in cuffed shirts (and cuff links!) over time. And please wear a decent pair of socks to work every day, not mix matched and definitely not one with holes in them. Surely no one feels good or confident wearing socks with holes in them with their big toes sticking out! And yet some still do. Don’t they feel they deserve better? Are socks so expensive? You can invest in more economical brands if you’re only just starting out.

Before leaving, do apply some deodorant or body spray and some fragrance (eau de toilette, eau de parfum or cologne). There’s nothing worse than having to put up with body odour when you’re riding the bus or train or working in an office – why, just yesterday, a fellow passenger was remarking very loudly of another passenger with ‘smelly arm pits’. So, please, do be considerate of others. Admittedly, I have found that some clothes material do not absorb perspiration well and make one smell bad even though one has put on the necessary deodorant and body fragrance. Here are some simple habits that will make you look put together.

Treat yourself well and dress well. You will feel confident and good about yourself. If you can’t afford branded goods, stick to unbranded goods instead of buying fake counterfeit goods. How can anyone feel good wearing socks with holes, toting a counterfeit Louis Vuitton bag and wearing a fake Omega? As cheesy as it may sound, perhaps people should try saying to their reflections in the mirror before stepping out, ‘Hey, how do I look?’ and see if they can honestly reply that they look good, neat, polished, well-groomed, presentable and professional (especially if they’re heading for work or a formal event). Even if it’s a casual day out, there is no excuse for anyone to dress like s/he is about to go to the wet market or just about woke up with a hangover. Seriously, take the time to make an effort because it’s all too easy to not make any effort at all and would you rather people think you’re just plain downright lazy? Come on, respect yourself because you’re surely better than that. Besides, first impressions count and you never know who you might just bump into.