Monday, July 13, 2015

My Birthday Weekend (3-6 July 2015)

There was a MAS offer recently and I availed of it by buying a return ticket to Jakarta. I had planned to take leave on my birthday anyway. So I too half-day leave last Friday and made my way to KL Sentral during lunch. i decided to travel light and not check in my bag as I didn’t want to wait for my bag like we did the last time I went to Jakarta in Ramadan. I had also done some research and decided to take the airport bus from Sukarno-Hatta International Airport to either Thamrin Mall or Gambir Station, and a cab from there to the guesthouse.

We took off on time and landed 15 minutes early. I cleared immigration quickly and made my way to the bus station. The bus frequency to Gambir and Thamrin Mall is every 15 minutes and one hour respectively so it was a no brainer. The ticket cost me IDR40K. I didn’t have to wait long; the bus arrived within minutes and we were already moving by 17:45. I broke fast on the bus.

We arrived at Gambir Station at 18:30 and I went out to the main road to hail a cab to the guesthouse. I reached the guesthouse about 20 minutes later (Jalan Cikini Raya was jam-packed!). After checking in, I ventured out to find dinner but nothing caught my fancy so I headed to Carrefour to buy some juice, tea and titbits.

On Saturday, I took a cab to Tanah Abang market. I had to ask for directions and finally found my way to Block B where I took the lift to the 5th floor. I spent some time browsing the stalls before buying some caftans and innerwear for myself and some shirts for dad. I then decided to check out the other floor selling Muslim clothes at SLG (not sure what it stands for but it was below LG). Man, big mistake. There were a lot more people here and if there’s anything I really hate, it’s crowds. And from what little I saw, the things down there cost more than similar ones at the 5th floor. I couldn’t wait to make my escape and hurried out as soon as I could.

I then decided to walk to Sarinah Department Store but was given the wrong direction and ended up in another area. Finally, I took an angkot back heading towards Tanah Abang, got down at a junction before the market area and took a bus to Sarinah. I walked in Sarinah but it was clear that as much as I dread the crowds at Tanah Abang, everything at Tanah Abang was at a fraction of the prices in Sarinah.

I didn’t stay long at Sarinah. I took the overhead bridge, crossed over and walked to Plaza Indonesia. Now this was more my kind of place: spacious, comfortable, air-conditioned, clean and posh. I availed of he complimentary wifi before exploring the mall. Then I crossed over to Grand Indonesia. At 17:15, I went to Food Louvre to find iftar. The food court was packed and I shared a table with a well-to-do family. I didn’t know if the trays were meant to deter anyone from sitting but as I didn’t know they were a family, I decided I’d sit there. Besides, like I said, the food court was packed. There was an announcement when it was time to break fast. I had pulled noodles but it was just average. The ones in KL tasted wayyy better!

After dinner, I decided to head back. I asked the cabbie to drop me at Cikini Station and went to Carrefour to shop for more juice and crackers before returning to the guest house.

On Sunday, I ventured to Tanah Abang again. I decided to take a bus this time. Missed the earlier bus by a minute and the next bus was packed to the rafters. I got down at the last stop and joined the thronging crowd descending on the market. It could be the crowd descending upon the Haram during Haj – that was the size of the crowd indeed and I’m not exaggerating.

I found the stalls I went to yesterday but ended up buying some innerwear from other stalls as they cost less. It was then when I started feeling stomach discomfort. So much so I had to use the bathroom there. Thank God it was clean. I even wondered if it was because of the lettuce in yesterday’s pulled noodles or the three slices of cucumber in this pre-dawn meal’s fried rice.

I left after an hour and walked to Plaza Indonesia. It took me only 22 minutes. I started feeling uncomfortable in Plaza Indonesia and decided to return to the guest house. And it was a good thing I did for I started feeling queasy. It turned out to be food poisoning and I was in bed for the rest of the afternoon and early evening. I ventured out briefly to ask the staff to buy me some ORS, isotonic drink, crackers and chicken porridge. It was a Sunday so unfortunately the pharmacies were all closed. The staff returned after an hour and I dragged myself up to receive the tray of food and water. I just ate the porridge devoid of any chicken. After sending the tray back to the kitchen, I returned to bed.

I got up a few times during the night to use the bathroom and every time I woke up, I made sure I drank some Pocari Sweat. I actually drank about 1.8 litres of Pocari Sweat in those few hours!

The next morning, I woke up for my pre-dawn meal. I forced myself to eat and managed only a quarter of the fried instant noodles. I went back to bed and rested a bit, drank more Pocari Sweat and forced myself to eat some crackers and dates.

I got up again after 7 and had a shower. Felt slightly more human after the shower. I had packed the day before, braving the pain. I felt that I could maybe take the airport bus and hailed a cab to Gambir Station. I bought the bus ticket and boarded the bus just a couple of minutes before I left. The bus took only 45 minutes to get to the airport and it went to Terminals 3 and 1 first before finally stopping at Terminal 2.

My bladder was bursting so I went to the bathroom first (clean! Thank God) before dropping off my bag. Then I went to clear immigration before walking slowly to my gate. The tummy was still delicate.

CT helped select seat 6B for me during check-in but I moved to row 20 as I wanted to lie down. The flight was uneventful, thank God, no turbulence or whatnot.

We landed at KLIA at 13:50, 20 minutes earlier than scheduled. Well done, MAS! I was home by 3 p.m.


That was my seventh trip to Jakarta, my fourth in Ramadan, and my first of food poisoning... oh well, there’s always a first time for everything I suppose.