Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Human Nature: I

TheOrganisation recently announced it’s raising the retirement age to 60 from 55/56 currently. As usual, this announcement was met with a lot of comments, criticisms, queries and for the most part, just plain negativity. I don’t understand what the fuss is all about especially when other countries have long since raised their retirement age (in fact, some will increase to 65). I especially hate it when people make comments such as the following: that pretty soon we’ll need to have wheelchairs; people coming to work with walking canes will be a common sight; those opting to stay on will deprive their subordinates from progressing on; and so on and so forth. There are also reminders that we are on living on borrowed time, that we should also stop to think about the Hereafter and our preparations for it, that at 55/56, we should already be doubling our preparations for the Hereafter, and that there is more to life than money. OK, I don’t disagree with that but I do disagree with the sentiment that those opting to stay on don’t necessarily think of the Hereafter. After all, isn’t work a form of ibadah too? And why do we need to wait until we are 55/56 to start doubling our preparations for the Hereafter? To me, it’s just like going to perform Haj: why have this perception that you should only go after you’ve reached a certain age? Sure, I know that going for Haj is not easy and that one needs to save for a number of years before one could be offered to go (and at the same time, ensure that provisions are also made for those left behind) but if one starts to save for Haj from when one is small, then one would be able to go even when he’s in his mid-20s or early 30s at least. Anyway, I digress.

I have always been in the camp of work-like-you-don’t-need-the-money because I believe that having this belief makes me enjoy my work more and not view it as a chore or a means to an end. I don’t want to view work as something I have to grudgingly do because I need the money. Of course money is a great motivator and I choose to feel it is a bonus to be paid doing something I enjoy (or don’t hate). As presently I don’t have anyone to provide for me, it looks likely that I would choose to stay on. And why not. What I don’t appreciate is negative critical moaners who immediately advise others from exercising their right, who criticise those who might want to stay on, who think they are trying to save others from damnation for choosing to stay on and work instead of repenting and doubling their preparations for the Hereafter. I should think we are all adults who are capable of making up our own minds, exercising good judgement and thinking of our own future. If one thinks one is able to survive financially without staying on, then fine, he is welcome to leave at 55/56. If he thinks he can still contribute, still enjoys working, is able to balance his worldly affairs and Hereafter, then he is welcome to stay on regardless of whether or not he needs the money. Why the need for negativity and pessimism? After all, the decision to increase the working age is surely not done lightly. It needed to be deliberated with the pros and cons carefully thought out taking into account many factors such as the impact on the medical bills, our EPF contribution, our loan terms, etc etc. Then the proposal had to be presented for approval to the senior management before it was tabled to the Board of Directors. That surely involved a lot of research work what with country comparison and experience, institution comparison, future projections, talent management and career progression, staffing needs, etc etc.

I’m a firm believer that in all aspects of life, be it marriage, job, the decision whether to have kids or not, just do what you believe in. Don’t let others influence you and don’t influence others to your thinking especially if your opinions are unsolicited for. It’s your life after all and you should live your life as you see fit, not as others dictate or decide for you. Sure, by all means, ask for others’ opinions, guidance and views so that you have an informed view but don’t let them sway or influence your decision. Work for your worldly affairs as though you will live forever, and work for your hereafter as though you will die tomorrow.


It’s just human nature, I guess, to be critical and negative and pessimistic. But why, when we can also choose to be positive and optimistic?