Friday, August 29, 2014

Legacy

I don’t listen to Malay songs apart and the only Malay songs I know are those Eid songs and some Sheila Majid and the late Sudirman songs. Of those Sudirman songs that I know, I do love some of them and even used to hum to them. I think it’s somewhat apt and fitting that one of the songs chosen for this year’s Independence Day celebration is Sudirman’s Warisan song and I’m only surprised it took the organising committee this long to realise how apt the song is.

Malaysia will be celebrating its 57th year of independence this year (OK, some will argue it’s Malaysia’s 51st year of independence because it only came into being when Sabah and Sarawak joined the Federation of Malaya to form Malaysia in 1963) and yet, I feel depressed sometimes when I look around me. I don’t know if we Malaysians really know how to be good Malaysians. It’s a fact that not everyone has a good command of the official language, heck, some can’t even speak it (and yet the foreign workers speak it fluently!). Shame on those of you who call yourselves Malaysians but can’t even converse in the official language. We look down upon the language, we corrupt it, we bastardise it, we make fun of it – in short, we have no respect for it. We’re almost ashamed of it. We will never be able to be like Indonesia whose people speak Bahasa Indonesia fluently and proudly. Sure, they have many dialects and Bahasa Indonesia is the one language uniting them. But what about us? We are too ashamed to speak Bahasa Melayu so how can it unite us? And what about the principles of Malaysia (Rukunegara)? I doubt if everyone knows it. I dare say there are some who don’t even know the words to Rukunegara, what more understand and try instilling those principles within themselves.

Look around you, you see litter everywhere. On the field, on the road, at the bus stop, outside the shopping malls, in the bus, it’s everywhere! I get tired of seeing all the rubbish. I get angry at the litterbugs. Don’t you have pride in yourself? Don’t you love the city and the country? Don’t you care about the environment? Or do you just think ‘it’s OK, there are always those who will clean up after me?’ What selfish pathetic twisted mind can think like that? But believe me, there are many Malaysians who think that.

And what about respect? Respect for your neighbours, for the elders, for the young, for pedestrians, for the environment (no littering), for the buildings (no graffiti, no destruction of old buildings which can be conserved)... the list goes on. There is seldom any courtesy accorded to pedestrians: who cares if they have to cross the road, let’s run the light! Who cares about this pedestrian walkway, let’s ride the motorbike here as it serves as a shortcut and saves our trip! That building looks like it needs a paint, hey, we might as well decorate it with graffiti! The boss is on leave today, let’s go for an early lunch! We don’t stop to think how the others view us as long as we derive satisfaction from it no matter how perverse or twisted it is.

Then there are those who don’t care if the country is gone to the dogs in the pursuit of their political ambition. Who cares about the state of education system? Who cares if our universities rank so low in the world? Who cares about we can’t prepare the future generation to lead the country? Who cares if we don’t nurture sportsmen? Who cares about the ranking of our football/hockey teams?

It would be simply depressing to go on. I would like to think I’m wrong except that I see the above failures every day and I don’t see them stopping any time soon.


Anyway. Selamat Hari Merdeka, Malaysia. I love you very much and that’s why it pains me greatly to see our failures even after all these years.