Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Are You Gonna Go My Way

Following the Gaza crisis which started in Ramadan, there have been talks of late of boycotting products from certain companies owned/controlled by Jews and Americans (who clearly support Israel in the crisis). And of course there have been divided opinions as to whether a boycott is necessary or even effective, what objects it could achieve and so on and so forth.

It’s up to an individual if s/he chooses to boycott any one company or not. Personally, as you may already know, I have been boycotting McDonald’s, Levi’s and a few other American brands since 2001 when the US invaded Iraq (I hate Coach and Michael Kors bags and don’t patronise Star*ucks). Alhamdulillah, thus far, I don’t feel my life any deprived, any less enriching or poorer in these 13 years than before my personal boycott. To me, it’s just a small sacrifice on my part compared to the hardship suffered by the Iraqis and others affected by the US’ policies of invasion and politics against the Afghans, Iranians, Iraqis, Palestinians etc. I can only hope that my small (insignificant to some) acts can be likened to the little bird which helped Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) (I have blogged about this before but thought I’d reproduce it here):

The story about the little bird, the fire and Prophet Ibrahim: When Prophet Ibrahim [peace be upon him] was thrown into a fire that filled up two valleys by the evil ruler Namrod, some birds were flying overhead. Some of the larger birds saw this little bird that kept on flying to the ocean to scoop up some water, bring the water in its tiny beak and then flying back to drop the water onto the fire. After seeing the small bird going back and forth a few times, the larger birds made fun of it and asked him why he was doing that, as such tiny drops of water could not possibly put out such a large fire. The small bird replied that it wanted to do its share so that on the Day of Judgement it could go before Allah with a clear conscience, because on the Day of Judgement, God would ask him what he did when Ibrahim was in the fire, and he wanted to be able to answer that he did everything within his ability to extinguish the fire. Wallahu’alam.

I share you with the following quote again: ‘I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.’ ~Edward Everett Hale

Do what you think is right by your conscience and personal principles. If you want to boycott, do it in a respectable and admirable way. No need to insult and offend those who still choose to patronise the establishment or the employees. We are all given brains and faculties by God anyway. If you don’t want to boycott, it’s your choice and preference. But it’s a small sacrifice and surely your personal comfort is not worth more than the hardship suffered by those affected? It’s jihad in a way anyway. Even the little bird could play its part in the fight against evil, gifted as it was with a clear conscience. Can we say the same about ourselves? Or are we still intent on being selfish and refuse to think beyond ourselves?