Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Extreme Cheapskates

When it comes to money, there are those who save, those who are stingy, and then there are cheapskates. How far will you go to save some cash? What is the motivation for those cheapskates?

I must say I was a little curious about the programme when the trailer first appeared on TV so I sat down to watch the first episode. Before long, I was grimacing. It’s unbelievable the length some people are willing to go and the things they are willing to do or give up to deny themselves the little pleasures of life. And it’s not like these people are destitute or anything. Some are rich, some are even millionaires and yet they choose to insult themselves by depriving themselves. I find it really sad and appalling. Don’t they think they deserve better? Don’t they love themselves more to indulge a little? Or do they think so lowly of themselves that they don’t think there’s anything wrong with their self-neglect? If you treat yourself right, you will feel great. How can anyone feel great if one walks with holes in his socks even though he can afford a new pair? If you dont think you deserve it better, if you think youre not worth spending on, then youre right. Youre not worth it. 

Mummy’s advice to me was not to be stingy with myself and not to insult myself by denying myself especially when I have worked hard for my money anyway. Because what’s the point of slaving oneself over work only to have the hard-earned money be enjoyed by others when you die? I will leave some assets and money behind for my dad, sister, my nephew and nieces and maybe half-brothers when I die but before I die, I too want to enjoy what I slog for. In Islam, we believe in this: Work for your worldly life as if you would live forever, and work for your Hereafter as if you would die tomorrow. To me, that applies to life too. Live your worldly life as if you would live forever, and yet live for your Hereafter as if you would die soon.

Look, I’m a bargain hunter and there’s nothing I love more than finding great deals but to me that’s getting the most value out of my spending. I studied accounting and I know the value of money and like most rationale consumers, I would not willingly pay more for something in store A if it’s offered at a lower cost in store B. That’s just trying to be a rationale and smart consumer, not a cheapskate. I also look at the quality and I don’t mind paying slightly more for quality than for a shoddy item which will more likely than not require replacement. In the long-run, it’s more economical to spend more on quality than to spend a little on something that doesn’t last.

~~~~~~~~

It’s 31 July today. A month since the transfer window officially opened and we have come no closer to signing anyone (except for Sanogo). I don’t know the reason behind this reluctance to spend, not when we no longer have the stadium to blame. Not when we have renewed deals with our sponsor. Not when we have a deal locked in place with PUMA for the next season’s kit. Not when Ivan himself had said that we have the dough and that we would spend it. So where is the action then? Where is the statement of intent or action of intent? Where is the ambition?

Look, I can dig and appreciate nurturing, developing and protecting talents. But there’s no denying we need reinforcements. We’re just an injury away from a defensive nightmare, we’re short in midfield and we need alternative strikers. I don’t think it’s too much for me to say that Arsenal are making a joke of themselves, being egoists and arrogant for thinking we can survive with as little reinforcement as possible, like this is a team made of Supermen, all players made of steel and all that. Because, hey, even Superman has his Achilles’ heel too, his weakness. There will come a time when players become too exhausted to play on, when it’s no longer wise to continually play them (ever heard of fatigue and burnout, Arsenal?), when some get injured and some suffer wear and tear of their tendons and muscles. You can’t play the same players week in, week out in four different cup competitions. It’s just not sustainable. You need many players who can play and challenge for as many cups as possible. The fans want new blood, the players themselves want new reinforcements and yet the person who holds the decisions and the purse-strings seem strangely reluctant to share this view. Stop being so stubborn and myopic already.

Twenty thousand leagues under the sea, hundreds of football leagues from Asia to Europe to North and South America, even Australia, the upper divisions, the lower divisions and whatnot and yet we can’t find anyone good enough that we can potentially sign. And this is the club which signed jokers, egoists and arrogant buggers (think Eboue, petit pute, Ade, NB52...) but can’t seem to find anyone now. So we want to spend only on quality? Good on you. But there’s no one good enough left to sign? Fie on you. Even Citeh who just have a new Manager have signed players.

Surely they understand the importance of investment at Arsenal? After all, the same people built the new stadium. They believed in investing for the future. So why this great reluctance to spend, this lack of urgency in conducting and concluding our business, this dragging of feet? Or are we the running contenders for the most Extreme Cheapskates ever?

The deeper the foundations, the stronger the fortress. Well, it’s high time to add on and reinforce the foundation, Arsenal. It’s only 16 more days left until the new season kicks off.