Monday, June 03, 2013

Escapade: Part VI

Around The World


Dammit. I saw the clip of the Cat Café in Budapest but slipped my mind to visit it. And it’s so near my hostel too ;’(


Monday, 6 May 2013

Woke up, freshened up and performed prayers. Went to buy some rolls for breakfast before I went to drop off my bag. We took off as scheduled at 0835 and landed in Budapest slightly earlier.

Got my bag and went to change money. Note of advice: don’t change all your money there like I did (I asked if the rates were comparable to those in the city, the lady at the exchange said yes but she lied to me). I bought tickets for the metro and bus and another pair for the return trip. They cost HUF350 each. Then I caught the bus 200E to the Kőbánya-Kispest metro station, which is the last station on Metro line 3. I rode the metro until Oktogon, the stop nearest to my hostel at Andrássy út, changing lines at Deák Ferenc tér. The doorbell was broken so I waited for someone to come out. Lucky for me, I only waited 5 minutes before someone came out, enabling me to enter the building. And what do you know, the hostel was at the second floor so it was another huffing and puffing up the stairs.

I was knackered by the time I entered the hostel and after I got my room key, took a shower. Feeling more refreshed, I then set off for a walk up Andrássy út, the grandest boulevard in Budapest, so grand it’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site, to its end at Hősök tere (Heroes’ Square). The Millennial Monument is the semi-circular twin colonnade with statues of Hungary’s kings and leaders between the pillars. In the centre of the square is the 118-foot stone column, crowned by a statue of the archangel Gabriel, his outstretched arms bearing the ancient emblems of Hungary. At the base are seven bronze horsemen.

After lingering for some pictures, I set off towards Városliget or City Park beyond but detoured to the small island on the left. Raindrops began falling so I sought shelter at the museum shop before venturing out again. I decided to abandon my plan to visit the park and quickly made my way back to the Heroes’ Square. The rain started falling more heavily and I walked briskly to the Museum of Fine Arts to seek shelter. There was already a crowd there as everyone there had the same idea.

I waited the rain for about half an hour until it petered out. Then I returned to the hostel for a brief while before venturing out again. I weaved in and out of the streets, admiring the buildings. There are many seriously beautiful buildings in Eastern Europe and I happily took my fill of them, craning my head up to the left and right and back to the left again. Anyone observing me closely probably thought I was a cat burglar as I was engrossed in my admiration of the buildings above me like I was plotting a break-in.

I soon came to Deák tér metro and crossed Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út to get to the river. I decided to take a closer look at Országház (Parliament). This most visible (but not as accessible) neo-Gothic building is mirrored in the Danube (just like the Houses of Parliament in London is reflected by the Thames). It is gigantic and is not surprisingly the largest building in the country. There was a major refurbishment work going on at the building so I couldn’t get closer, not that it is not open to individual visitors anyway. I had to be content with walking along the Danube and taking photos of the building from the narrow path along the river.

Next, I went to search for early dinner at Govinda’s, a vegetarian restaurant that Lin and I patronised on our first visit to the city. There was a daily set meal at HUF990. After dinner, I wandered the shops around Erzsébet tér before returning to the hostel.

I spent the evening chatting with Zita, the girl who worked at the hostel, a Turkish girl who was there along with 4 other girls and one man on an exchange programme and a Taiwanese mother-daughter pair. Then Zita’s old colleague came and we chatted with him too. He told us of life in Hungary before the Iron Curtain fell. It was quite sobering.

Tuesday, 7 May 2013

After breakfast, I set off for Várhegy (Castle Hill). I walked all the way from the hostel to Széchenyi lánchíd (Chain Bridge) across the Danube to Buda. As I had ridden the funicular train up on my first visit, I decided to skip it this time. I spotted a park and some stairs and walked towards it, following a couple. It wasn't a hard climb at all and I was glad to have climbed stairs almost every morning at work.

At the top, I turned left and walked past Ludwig Museum, Magyar Nemzeti Galériá (Hungarian National Gallery) to Országos Széchényi Könyvtár (Szechenyi National Library). I spent some time at the castle walls: at one side, admiring the views of Danube and Pest, while at the other, admiring the view of Buda. I then walked to Halászbástya (Fisherman’s Bastion), a cluster of seven white stone turrets, arches and columns. Medieval disbanded used to peddle their wares here. I spent some time here enjoying the sun and the view. Oh, it did drizzle on and off but never lasting more than five minutes and the sun was quick to break through the clouds again. I kept singing Around The World, Nat King Cole’s version.

After having my fill of the view, I walked to Kapisztran ter, Castle Hill’s northernmost square to the remains of the 12th century Gothic Mária Magdolna templom (Church of St Mary Magdalene). Its torony (tower), completed in 1496, is the only part left standing; the rest of the church fell victim to air raids during the World War II. There are also the remains of a Turkish bath nearby.

After that, I walked through Vienna Gate and walked north to Gül Baba türbéje (Tomb of Gul Baba). Gul Baba was a 16th century dervish and poet whose name means ‘father of roses’ in Turkish and he was buried in a tomb built of carved stone blocks. He fought in several wars waged by the Turks and fell during the siege of Buda in 1541. The tomb marks the spot where he was slain. I then walked down the street bearing his name (more a lane than a street) to another Turkish ruin (unnamed though).

After that, I walked to the river and walked along it. I started north of Margit híd (Margaret Bridge) and walked all the way to the Chain Bridge. I crossed the river back to Pest and wandered until I reached Váci út, the city’s famous upscale pedestrian-only promenade. I walked up to Vásárcsarnok, the magnificent Central Market Hall. It’s a 19th century iron-frame construction and was reopened in 1994 after years of renovation. The cavernous hall was teeming with shoppers. Here, you can buy salami and red paprika (should you wish to), fresh fish, fresh vegetables and other tastes of Hungary. Upstairs, you can buy folk embroideries and souvenirs. I had already earmarked a shop along Váci út to get my souvenirs from so I left empty-handed.

I walked back along Váci út and bought my souvenirs at the shop I had earlier earmarked. The lady was so friendly that she offered me to stay with her next time I was in Budapest. I’m not sure though if there would be a third visit to Budapest. I love the city and the buildings and most of the people are friendly but I have other cities I have yet to visit. But of course I didn’t tell her that. She also said she would take me on a trip around Hungary. Now, that’s very tempting.

From Váci út, I made my way to Deák tér and crossed over. I then walked up Király utca, Budapest’s design street, and had a very late lunch/early dinner at a Turkish restaurant. There was a daily set menu, costing HUF990. I had noticed quite a few Turkish restaurants around the city this time so really, Muslims should have no problem finding halal food. Didn’t notice them the first time I was there but maybe it was because we mainly travelled by metro. This time, I walked everywhere because I was based quite centrally.

I walked to the hostel after my meal and spent the evening indoors. Reckon I walked at least 15 km today. At the very least.

To be continued