Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Escapade: Part II

A Whole New World




Monday, 29 April 2013

Same routine as the morning before but this morning, I tried out a new route to the coach station. Today, I would join the tour to the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher. There were a few of us who joined the trip and the driver then explained he would pick up more passengers who came from Dublin for the day.

We were given the option of going to a farm and experience the Burren landscape or go to Aillwee Cave. At the last minute I decided to join the farm tour - well, I had gone into caves before in Niah and the Thiên Cung and Dao Go caves near Halong Bay. It started drizzling as we arrived but the guide who runs the farm has a barn stocked with walking gear and boots so most of us got ‘suited up’. Of course the gear was too big for me but better that than getting my clothes wet and muddy. Besides, I would not be able to endure the walk in my clothes.

We walked out and up the hill beyond the farm. From the hill, you could see the surrounding farms, even Galway Bay, and you could even make out the outlines of the Aran Islands. It was again alternating between sun and drizzle.

We spent about 30 minutes climbing up and down the hill and then walked back to the main house. The driver came back with the group who went to the cave and then we drove off to the Cliffs ofMoher.

We were lucky the sun was out when we were at the Cliffs. But my, what strong gale! The Atlantic gale was so strong, even grown men were having problems fighting it. I was about to be blown off myself and was saved by a couple who just about managed to grab me. I sought shelter at O’Brien’s Tower, the highest point of the Cliffs, for about ten minutes waiting for the gale to die down before gingerly making my way along. The Cliffs run 5 miles long and are about 650 metres above the Atlantic. We spent close to two hours here. I thought that was long enough but as it turned out, I just about made it back to the bus (it did take some time battling and fighting your way against the gale). A few others were very late.

We then stopped at Doolin Village for our well-deserved late lunch before driving back to Galway, stopping en route at Dunguaire Castle for some Kodak moments. We reached Galway at 5:30 pm.

I went out for a walk before returning to the hostel, freezing myself in the process.

Tuesday, 30 April 2013

I woke up early and packed. Had breakfast then continued packing. I then went out briefly and bought a water bottle and some chocolates at a discount store. Left my bags in the lounge before venturing out to the city centre.

I joined the Galway walking tour. Now, one word of advice: even though the tour is free, you are expected to pay tips to the guide. I didn’t have small change and had to give him €10. There were only two of us too - had there been more people, I would have given €5. Look, I come from a country and culture where we don’t tip people because we are already paying service tax. And I don’t earn Euros.

I went back to the hostel and had a simple lunch. Asked the girl who manned the place if I could perform prayers in one of the empty dorms and she said yes without question. Thank you for understanding ;’)

I decided to take the 1705 bus back to Shannon Airport instead of the 1805 so I left the hostel at 1630. Well, there were a lot of people who wanted to take the 1705 bus too so the bus was quite full when it finally left Galway. And one word about Shannon and Cork airports: they provide free WiFi. Stansted doesn’t even provide the same.

Goodbye Galway. I don’t know if I will be able to revisit you...

Reached Shannon Airport at 1850, had my light dinner and dropped off my bag the minute the counter opened.

The flight took off on time and we landed at Stansted at 11 pm. I had an early morning flight the next day so had to spend the night at the airport.

To be continued