Monday, May 27, 2013

Escapade: Part I

Leaving On A Jet Plane




I had planned on going to the Arsenal-ManUre match after learning the skunk had sold his soul to the devils and bought the ticket to London in early September 2012 as soon as the Premier League schedule for 2012-13 season was released. The rest of the trip was finalised along the way - and I had to strike off some destinations as I wasn’t sure of the public transportation available at those destinations.

Friday, 26 April 2013

I took half-day off work today and rushed home after a brief stop at Isetan. Well, there was a members’ sale and I wanted to get a few things. I was so exhausted from everything and wanted to leave after 5 pm; the downpour which started at 4 also meant I couldn’t leave earlier even if I wanted to.

Abah offered to drive me to Ampang Park and from there, I took the LRT to KL Sentral. Dropped my water bottle in the car in my haste. Ditsy me.

The flight took off slightly later than scheduled: I saw some people still wandering around looking for their seats when we were supposed to have taken off. As for me, unfortunately I was seated next to two Middle Eastern men. The oaf next to me hogged the armrest throughout but of course. Stupid inconsiderate selfish idiot.

At mealtime, I asked for water and apple juice while the guy by the window asked for 7-Up. When the cabin crew gave me my drinks, the guy reached over and took my water, thinking it was his 7-Up. I was so shocked that I gaped at him then asked the cabin crew loudly for another cup of water ‘because he took my water’ while pointing at him. What an idiot. Sure, both water and 7-Up are colourless but soda fizzes. You fool. I hope you enjoyed your water. I only wished I had taken a sip before you took it away. Then the cabin crew handed him his precious 7-Up. Like I said, dumb fool.

Saturday, 27 April 2013

We landed in Abu Dhabi and it was a sleepy transit before I embarked on the next flight to London Heathrow. Landed in Heathrow on time and was out fairly quickly. Took the tube to Green Park for the simple reason that it has lifts and from there, I walked to Old Bond Street and New Bond Street before emerging into Oxford Street. The sun couldn’t decide if it wanted to be out or stay behind the clouds and the rather windy morning made it seem much colder.

I browsed some stores and was tempted by some of the clearance offers but didn’t buy anything as I was going to fly the cattle airline a few times. No can do. I then made my way to the easyBus stop and waited for my bus to London Stansted.

We reached Stansted an hour later and I went to perform prayers at the multi-faith chapel. Funny I didn’t realise the existence of the chapel before. Joined the queue for check-in and there were such long lines (Stansted is a major hub for RyanAir). Luckily, we got to join a different queue as the time was drawing closer for our flight. Then there was another queue to join at the security check.

I slept prior to take-off and got up about 20 minutes before landing. Chatted to the elderly chap next to me. He told me he runs a pub in north London (apparently close to the Emirates!) but when I asked, he said he didn’t support Arsenal because he didn’t watch football. Oh well. So long as he didn’t support the scums.

Took the Eireann Bus no. 51 to Galway. Return ticket cost €22 (I later checked and found that a single ticket cost €17!). We reached Galway about 105 minutes later. I walked down to my hostel and checked in.

Went out to check out the area and bought some water at a nearby convenience store. Had a simple dinner before retiring for the evening. I was woken up a few times by the loud drunken voices of my fellow hostel guests.

OK, I did say I wanted to catch the Arsenal-ManUre match, right? Well, I would have tried my best except that the match was subsequently rescheduled to start on Sunday instead. At 4 pm. I wasn’t keen to remain in London for an extra night (I wouldn’t have minded one night in London had the match proceeded as scheduled on Saturday) so I decided OK, I would have to miss the match. And probably a good decision too because ManUre were the champions (how it pains me to type that) and Arsenal were having the guard of honour for them. Ugh.

Sunday, 28 April 2013

I woke up for prayers and again at 7. Showered then went to have breakfast. After breakfast, I went for a walk around the city centre before getting directions to the coach station (not the same as the bus station). I had booked to join a tour with Lally Tours to Connemara today.

There were some 34 of us and we all piled into the smaller bus (the company’s other bus which was bigger was bound for the Burren tour). We drove through the range of mountains and lakes, passing the Quiet Man Bridge (featured in the John Ford film ‘The Quiet Man’ starting John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara), the Maam Valley, Killary Fjord before stopping at Kylemore Abbey. We stopped at Kylemore Abbey and Victorian walled garden for two hours. It is a beautiful 19th century house now run by Benedectine nuns. The vegetables used in the complex’s restaurant are purportedly from the Victorian garden itself. The weather seemed to change every minute: sun, fleeting clouds and rain alternating quickly.

We reached Galway at 5:15 pm and tried as I did with the numerous pubs that the city has, I couldn’t find any which was screening the match. Had to go back to the hostel and find out the results online. Aud and Zack helped to text me the results. We drew 1-1 with ManUre.

To be continued