Monday, January 07, 2013

Shaken And Stirred But Not Scared Shitless

I was clearing the dried leaves outside our gate yesterday morning, a normal Saturday evening or Sunday morning task. It was a bright sunny morning, even at 8. I was aware of a young man walking down and then I noticed that he turned and retraced his steps. I was squatting down and concentrating on my task but not totally absorbed that I was unaware. Then I heard a motorbike passed me. It turned and the sound kept lingering. I was beginning to feel suspicious: why did the motorbike still sound so close? Why hadn’t he driven off yet? Was the rider lost? Or, were they planning to do some hanky-panky on me??

Before I could turn, I felt myself being attacked from behind. I still have a shiver running down my spine whenever I think of it. I struggled and I shouted obscenities at my attacker and I fought to free myself. He had his hands around my neck. I fell on my side to the road and scraped my left elbow and knee. I continued shouting. They certainly picked their time well. The whole area was deserted and devoid of people.

Then suddenly my attacker jumped on the motorbike and they drove off. I could see him from behind (I didn’t really notice the one who drove it). He had a slight built – like a woman’s and has short hair. I ran after them and noted the registration number: CAN2270. Then I ran back inside crying out for my dad hysterically.

As it turned out, they didn’t get my necklaces. They got about 3 inches off my tennis necklace (I found out when I sent my necklace for repair) but both necklaces broke and they slipped down my t-shirt. And they stayed there somehow throughout my run into the garden through the kitchen and into the living area.

We went to lodge a police report and the sergeant who then took my statement said I did the right thing even though my attackers didn’t succeed in their attempt. He said in any snatch theft incidents, the victims always get injured or hurt and as such, he viewed snatch theft seriously. He pointed out that even though the thugs weren’t successful with me, they might have vented their frustration elsewhere on another victim. The police did a search and the motorbike, though bearing a Pahang number, belonged to an Indian man in Ipoh. I told them I was very sure the attackers were young Malay men, probably in their late-teens (or perhaps still in school?) or early twenties. Damn you both to hell and back.

So girls, remember, always be aware of your surroundings. Be alert on suspicious characters. Make a note of as much as what you can see as possible. Equip yourself (although in my defence, I was clearing the bloody leaves blowing from my neighbour’s tree so no, I wasn’t equipped then). And even though you may think it’s pointless, make a police report because it will help the police to know the frequently-attacked areas, the statistics, the peak hour of attack, etc etc.




This is what happens when we not only refuse to implement God’s law but even mock them. Hudud is only applicable to Muslims so non-Muslims should not be worried. Facts must be established first before punishment can be meted out. God is not cruel. It’s men, who are tasked to protect the women, who are cruel. For why else would they attack the weaker sex without regard, thought and remorse?

I kept hearing things throughout yesterday. Sounds that didn’t seem to belong either in or outside the house. And I hate being made to feel angry about being physically weaker. Had I been stronger, I would have attacked them back. Had I been more quick-thinking, I would have thrown something at them to deter their progress or even hurt them.

But I am thankful. Thankful that God still loves and protects me. That the thugs didn’t have their helmets with them or if they did, they didn’t use it to hit me. That they didn’t come armed with knives or parang to hold against my neck or to stab me with. That they didn’t have chloroform-soaked rag to render me unconscious. That they didn’t strangle me half to death. And I’m glad I wore gloves that helped conceal my wrists or they probably would have tried to get my bracelets and bangles too.

And don’t tell me women now have to stop wearing jewellery, that we must stop toting our handbags and that we should live in fear of being a victim. We should not let them rule our lives because our lives are not determined by them. I still feel angry, I still feel somewhat spooked but I refuse to be scared. In fact, I can’t seem to stop fantasising of how I could exact my revenge on them. I’d hit them with a stick or throw something at them that would hurt them, make them lose their balance and fell on the road. Let them see how fun that is when the table is turned.