Friday, January 11, 2013

Land Of The Rising Sun: Quirky Japanese

I had been to Tokyo twice before my Osaka trip and this recent trip reinforced what I had observed before:

- A very polite society. No one raises their voice and you won’t find anyone on the train talking on their hand-phones. If they do, they usually cover the mouthpiece so as not to disturb other passengers. Japanese are uncomfortable about making others uncomfortable. No one shouts. You get large crowds at attractions like Universal Studios Japan and the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Kyoto for instance but everyone queues and moves in an orderly manner. No pushing, no shoving, no queue jumping. No kids running everywhere and no parents letting their kids running everywhere they like terrorising the place down. I really wish more parents and children here are as well-behaved.

- A very clean country. No one litters. No one.

- Fascination with the cute and cuddly. Kawaii dominates the culture big time. I love it! Every girl would have a dangling bag or phone charm.

- Plastic bags are still widely in use everywhere. So much so I got the confused look when I declined them at supermarkets and convenience stores. They do recycle rigorously though. When Akak was there, she told us of the different rubbish collecting days: one day, it would be only organic waste; another it would be inorganic waste. You would have to sort out your waste accordingly.

- Creative people. Too creative at times (and no, this is not a criticism!) that they seem to be quirky. They are the ones who came up with robots. They excel at food decorating and arrangement, bonsai trees, fantastic and soothing landscapes, etc. They are also good at utilising space and inventing things to make life easier. However, I observed a lot of them still use flip phones.

- You can find squat toilets besides sit-down toilets in some bathrooms. Most sit-down toilets have integrated bidet and even warm seats. When you sit down, you can hear the sound of water flowing or you can hit the music button and some sound will come out to drown out your own sound. Ladies’ cubicles in some departmental store washrooms have a child seat in them. How thoughtful, eh! They are not big on hand towels though and some bathrooms don’t have hand dryer either.

- They like to drink cold water with their meals even in winter. I can hardly swallow it in summer (I don’t drink cold or iced water), what more in winter.

- They are big on meat. You have to be careful when you eat because some noodle dishes may be served in pork broth.

- Oh and vending machines are a ubiquitous sight everywhere. They even got me to thinking about the products sold: how do the companies know when to re-stock and how do they ensure products sold are still within their best consume-by dates.

I love the beautiful country and how the smart Japanese marry the traditional with the modern. Realistically though, I don’t think I will be back. I would love to but I don’t see that happening any time soon.