Saturday, September 29, 2012

SE7EN



Wow, who would have guessed it’s been seven years since this graffiti board was born? Who would have thought it’d survived this long? That I could still find time and material and things to rant about? (Maybe I should be worried that I seem to have no end of things to rant). This blog is a reflection of me and of my passion (Arsenal, travelling, shopping, reading, health and the environment) and what you read is what you get: just an ordinary everyday next-door girl.

Reflections turns seven today. Thank you for joining me in this journey.

~~~~~~~~

I’ve decided to do something different thing this time around and share seven of the songs that I really love enjoy listening to right now. To be honest, I’m quite indifferent to some of these singers but find some of their songs quite good. Generally, I like songs that I can hum or sing to, whether or not it involves screaming my lungs out. It’s a bonus if those songs encapsulate what I feel or once felt, or those that motivate or make me feel empowered. So here are those seven songs:

Somebody That I Used To Know

Ahh, this song. For those we used to know but who now feel more like strangers. For those who played with our feelings and then broke our hearts, those who promised to love us but then left us, those who make promises then break them, those who just upped and left. For all those playboys out there. And for all those Juda$$$ and petit pute out there who think they are much better than the rest of the team, who think the grass is greener on the other side, who think they’re much bigger than the club. Well, screw you.

But you didn’t have to cut me off / Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing / And I don’t even need your love / But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough / No you didn’t have to stoop so low

Now you’re just somebody that I used to know

Payphone

OK, to be honest, I don’t listen to this as much as I listen as the others but I like this part:

If ‘Happy Ever After’ did exist / I would still be holding you like this / All those fairy tales are full of shit / One more fucking love song, I’ll be sick

No, I’m no way disillusioned with love but this is what you’d rant too if/when/after your partner left you.

Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)

This is one song that really helps make feel strong, stronger than I really am, and makes me feel empowered. And the lyrics! I can so relate to them.

You didn’t think that I’d come back / I’d come back swinging / You try to break me, but you see / What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger / Stand a little taller / Doesn’t mean I’m lonely when I’m alone / What doesn’t kill you makes a fighter / Footsteps even lighter / Doesn’t mean I’m over cause you’re gone

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, stronger / Just me, myself and I / What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger / Stand a little taller / Doesn’t mean I’m lonely when I’m alone

This song is for those who have known disappointments, faced setbacks, had their hearts broken, their dreams snuffed, or their hopes dashed but they refuse to let this drag them down.

Or just perfect for those of us who know that being alone doesn’t equate being lonely. It explains why I am perfectly happy to travel alone, just me, myself and I.

Part Of Me

Like Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You), this song to me is about gathering back strength, about overcoming an initial setback, and about knowing that no matter what life throws at you (or no matter what the man does to you), there is always a part within you that will always be yours. That you will be able to salvage your pride, that you can pretty much take what is thrown at you no matter how unpleasant. That you can bounce back from disappointment because and as long as you keep a part of you intact.

This is the part of me / That you’re never gonna ever take away from me, no / This is the part of me / That you’re never gonna ever take away from me, no / Throw your sticks and your stones, throw your bombs and your blows / But you’re not gonna break my soul / This is the part of me / That you’re never gonna ever take away from me, no

The One That Got Away

I find this to be a sad melancholic visit to the past, of regrets of what-could-have-beens, of what-ifs, of if-onlys. It’s going down memory lane to one’s relationship that didn’t work out (for whatever reason), of letting someone go or having someone slip out of one’s life.

In another life / I would be your girl / We’d keep all our promises / Be us against the world

In another life / I would make you stay / So I don’t have to say / You were the one that got away / The one that got away

This song is dedicated to The Gentleman and Cesc. Although I never made any promises to The Gentleman because silly me worried too much about long-distance relationship (he is still in Blighty).


Dark Side


Well, we all have a dark side, don’t we? This song is for all of us insecure girls who take a look at our vulnerable side and question/wonder/ponder if our partners will stick with us even through the bad times or knowing that we have a weak or dark side. It takes a strong, strong man to love me and accept me for all my faults and flaws, my shortcomings, my temper outbursts, my insecurities, my fears, my emo yoyo...

Everybody’s got a dark side / Do you love me? / Can you love mine? / Nobody’s a picture perfect / But we’re worth it / You know that we’re worth it / Will you love me? / Even with my dark side?

Well, do you love me and can you love me dark side, warts, faults and all?

Call Me Maybe

This is a quirky song, if I may call it that. Light and flirty and catchy. The lyrics may not win any literature prize or whatnot (but better than some songs I’ve heard).

It’s hard to look right / At you baby / But here’s my number / So call me, maybe?

Hey, I just met you / And this is crazy / But here’s my number / So call me, maybe?

And all the other boys / Try to chase me / But here’s my number / So call me, maybe?

Before you came into my life / I missed you so bad / I missed you so bad / I missed you so, so bad

Before you came into my life / I missed you so bad / And you should know that

So call me, maybe?

This song is dedicated to my new loves, Iggy and Giroud, and all the other gorgeous boys out there (Ramsey, even Poldi).

I’m not sure which category Tommy falls in. Maybe all of the above. I like to think I’m the one he let get away.