Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Dark Side

I don’t know if it’s because of my upbringing or the environment I grew up in that makes me a kiasu. Yes, much as I hate to, I must admit I am kiasu. I deride our neighbours as being that but when I examine myself and my behaviour over time, I realised that I’m equally kiasu. When I say I am kiasu, it doesn’t mean I jump queues or pile food high on my plate or avail myself of free meals (by going to open houses for example). I am kiasu because I want to sit as close to the front as I possibly can in public coaches and planes – so that I can disembark quickly and rush to the immigration counter to clear immigration. I hate queuing up for a long time – it seems like such a waste of time – that I either visit the bathroom in the plane or hold my bladder until after I have cleared immigration. Even if the bags from our flight have yet to appear on the carousel, I can always perform prayers while waiting for my bag. So now you can understand why I’m a kiasu when it comes to disembarking planes. I’m not kiasu enough to be standing up and reaching for my bag at the overhead compartment when the plane is still taxiing like some people are.

I’m not kiasu all the time though. I like to browse duty-free shops and because of this, I always run out of time and end up having to walk briskly or even run on travellators. So I’m not being kiasu when I run on the travellator but rather because I am running late. Also, I would not join a queue to embark a low-cost airline until the last possible minute as I hate crowds and queuing up. The best part of travelling solo is I can still find seat for myself as close to the exit as possible. So there are circumstances when I’m a kiasu and when I’m not.

I also like to arrive early at times (not all the time) to ensure I have a good seat. A good example is when I went to watch the Arsenal match last year. Our tickets did not come with numbered seats so of course I wanted to arrive early to get a good seat. All the better to watch my Arsenal from!

Mummy was someone who would not sleep or rest until she had completed her chores and I inherit that part. I’d rather sleep late than let the dirty plates pile in the sink. Sure I can wash them the next morning but I’d rather do the washing up immediately. After all, it needs to be done anyway. Why put off for tomorrow what I can do tonight? If you can have happiness now, you’d want to enjoy it now and not put it off, so what’s different with chores? Besides, I’m a firm believer of delayed gratification.

Mummy was also someone who’d, upon returning from a trip, unpack, place the dirty clothes in the washing machine, do the laundry and hang the clothes, and finish unpacking. I think if she could have it her way, she’d want to iron those clothes immediately and store them back in the wardrobe too. And I can’t help inheriting that gene. I’d also come back from a trip – any trip be it local, regional or beyond – immediately unpack, sort out the dirty clothes, finish unpacking the rest and tidy up the kitchen too. If that makes me kiasu, then so be it. I know of some people who’d keep their bags in the store – with everything unpacked – and only sort them just before going on their next trip. I’m just not that kind of person.

I’m also a very stubborn person, sometimes too stubborn for my own good. I can’t just take no for an answer at times and will fight my way to get what I want. Perhaps it’s also because I’m the youngest and I always want to have my own way. But I’m never stubborn enough to admit it. But hey, my love Giroud is also stubborn so we are like two peas in a pod, oui?

I’m also an insecure person. All these years and all this time and yet I can still be insecure. I don’t want to care what people think of me yet sometimes I find myself wondering.

Last but not least, I have irrational fear of a lot of things. My mates think I’m all brave and courageous, all because I travel solo but the truth is, I’m afraid of a lot of things. For instance, I hate pain, I can’t stand it and I’m afraid of it. I’m afraid of rejection (who isn’t?) despite it being out of my control. Like I said, irrational fear.

The above are among that that make up my dark side. But I believe everyone has his own dark side.

~~~~~~~~

Southampton perhaps thought they were visiting the dark side when they came to Ashburton Grove on Saturday. We were helped by OG, the player who kept scoring for ManUre, who scored a brace. Heck, even Gervinho, playing in an unfamiliar central striker position of the gone and increasingly forgotten Juda$$$, scored a brace too. And those who dismissed the match saying it’s only Southampton, remember that both Manc clubs also trailed before finally overcoming Soton.


But damn, we are no longer The Impenetrables.