Friday, August 03, 2012

My Point Of View

I usually post pictures of my trips on FB to share with my friends what I saw on my trips. The recent Hong Kong/Macau pictures are no exception. A friend, seeing pictures of my MAS goodie bag commented that she disliked MAS because she is of the view that a national carrier of a Muslim country should not be serving alcoholic drinks on board. Well, to be honest, I used to think that way too. But I have since altered my views slightly and replied to her that I was not going to defend MAS or anything but Emirates and Etihad, the national carriers for two of the emirates of the UAE, also serve alcoholic drinks on board and yet no one commented or condemned on this (at least no one I know or maybe I’ve not heard it. Or perhaps they don’t care because it’s not their national carrier). I don’t condone it but now a slightly wiser me thinks that it’s not right to deprive non-Muslims from consuming alcoholic drinks and it’s not right for us to ban them or expect them to refrain eating non-slaughtered meat (non-halal food). It’s their right to consume these things because they are not bound by Islamic law as they are not Muslims. In fact to do so would be unIslamic.

But I draw the line at Muslim cabin crew serving alcoholic drinks. You see, Muslims are not just prevented from drinking alcoholic drinks. There are a few things that Muslims cannot do in association with alcoholic drinks: (i) processing it; (ii) request for it to be processed; (iii) drink it; (iv) transport it; (v) request for its transport; (vi) pouring/serving it; (vii) selling it; (viii) profit from its sale; (ix) buying it; and (x) request for its purchase (in Malay: Rasulullah saw melaknat tentang arak, sepuluh golongan: (1) yang memerahnya, (2) yang minta diperahkan untuknya, (3) yang meminumnya, (4) yang membawanya, (5) yang minta dihantarinya, (6) yang menuangkannya, (7) yang menjualnya, (8) yang makan harganya, (9) yang membelinya, (10) yang minta dibelikannya." (Riwayat Tarmizi dan Ibnu Majah : Tirmidzi : Hadith Gharib : Al-Munziri dalam At-Targhib: Perawinya thiqah)). So in a nutshell, it’s wrong for Muslim cabin crew to serve alcoholic drinks on board so the drinks should be served by non-Muslim cabin crew. I can’t compromise on this part because it wasn’t me who set the rules/restrictions.

And those who feel so strongly against MAS serving alcoholic drinks, do they feel as strongly towards those restaurants serving alcoholic drinks too like Chili’s, Jake’s, TGI Friday, Victoria Station, etc? (I know my dad feels strongly but he has a very strict view of religion, what can be allowed and what can’t be allowed. It’s more about his discomfort in patronising establishments which serve alco drinks.) It would be inconsistent for them to criticise MAS for serving alco drinks but on the other hand, not criticise restaurants that serve alco drinks.

And for those of us fasting: how many feel strongly towards those non-Muslims who eat in full view? Surely our fast isn’t dependent on whether or not other people eat in front of us. If it does, it brings serious question to our iman. Yes, I do appreciate my colleagues who don’t eat in front of me out of respect but you don’t have to do that. You’re not fasting so why should you deprive yourself? And why should I deprive you? It makes me uneasy to think that I may have been depriving another person of the need to eat or drink.

A few days ago, my boss told a Sikh colleague not to eat in public. I told her that it’s his right to do so. After all, he’s not observing Ramadan, is he? He’s not Muslim, he observes his own religion and is a vegetarian because of his religion. I mean, think about it: have we (and I don’t just mean us Muslims but us non-vegetarians) ever considered his feelings and not consume meat/seafood in front of him? I’m ashamed to admit no. In our office dos, we do include vegetarian meal for him but we don’t think to stop eating meat/seafood in front of him out of respect. So to me, to demand respect and courtesy, we need to give respect and courtesy too. What right have we to ask him not eat in public in the Ramadan when we don’t even consider his feelings when we eat meat/seafood in front of him? I must admit I never thought of his feelings before - probably because I don’t take offence if any of my colleagues want to eat pork or non-slaughtered meat in front of me. (I’m sorry but I do feel like gagging sometimes at the sight of uncooked pork/ham/bacon. And I think beer particularly smells awful. But don’t mind me and don’t let me stop you.).

I know not many will agree with my views here but think about it. Are we entitled to demand others to follow what we observe? No, of course not. Similarly, the feared hudud law is only applicable to Muslims. It’s Islamic law so of course it’s applicable to Muslims only. Non-Muslims are not subject to it. Yet it’s the Muslims who try to frighten off non-Muslims about hudud, who oppose to implementation of hudud, who will be questioned by their Maker for their failure in observing and implementing hudud...

While I’m on the subject of observance, Muslims should not use Ramadan as a month of excuses. There’s no excuse for being less productive, leaving on time, slacking off work etc. You fast because it’s obligated on you. God doesn’t owe you anything so stop feeling sorry for yourself or thinking others should accommodate you because you’re fasting. Fasting is not supposed to make one feel weaker. It does not curtail you from your everyday activities. That’s why I don’t understand why people always get surprised when they find I travel in Ramadan (I’ve been travelling for four Ramadans now). I try not to let Ramadan stop me. Why should I? Surely it’s not God’s intention to make us curtail our activities. Fasting can co-exist with your normal activities. It’s even more convenient to travel when one’s fasting as one doesn’t need to think of stopping for a meal. Performing prayers? Why, God grants us the flexibility to perform shorter prayers and combine prayers too. I still perform Tarawikh and Witir prayers when I travel. Heck, if I refuse not to perform ibadah, I don’t even need to use travelling as an excuse. There are people who choose not to perform Tarawikh and Witir prayers even though they are not travelling so why look at me funny just because I travel in Ramadan? (Tarawikh and Witir prayers are not obligatory prayers by the way). Don’t use fasting or the month of Ramadan as an excuse to stop you from your normal activities.

Like this chap wrote, your test of faith should not be their inconvenience. But then again, it should not be your inconvenience either. Because I don’t think God ever intended for our iman and our observance to performing ibadah to burden us.