Thursday, May 17, 2012

How I Spent My Pre-Summer Vacation: First Leg

This trip was conceived when Aud mentioned her plan for London 2012. I didn’t think much of it then but the idea grew as I considered being in London during the Olympic. However, I ditched this idea when I realised that the Olympic would fall in the month of Ramadan. I don’t really mind travelling during Ramadan, having travelled before to Jakarta during two previous Ramadans but I do mind the long summer fasting hours. It’s a struggle enough to fast for 13 hours in KL, what more for 16-17 hours in summer! So Olympic idea was shelved (I did consider going to the World Cup 2014 or Olympic in 2016 but both would be held in Rio de Janeiro. Wow, having to fly half-way around the world for that! Then a Gooner suggested Sochi 2014. Hmm, must admit that idea did interest me). Anyway, what about Euro 2012? Well, I considered it too but it would be held in Poland and Ukraine. I have been to Poland (been pick-pocketed in Warsaw too) so wasn’t too keen in heading there and while I haven’t been to Ukraine, the idea of getting a visa was off-putting. So no Euro 2012 either.

Then I considered, having discussed with Aud that perhaps we could go watch and Arsenal match instead. That would seem more realistic. Next, I considered maximising my stay in London and looked to see if I could attend up to three matches (home and away). Having made up my mind, I purchased my air ticket to London in August 2011 for arrival on the last Saturday in April and departure after the last match of the season.

Of course, I had no intention of staying in London throughout so I made plans of other potential places to visit from London or Europe. However, logistical problems and time constraint meant some places also had to be put on hold.

So 27 April came and I was good to go.

Friday, 27 April 2012

KUL-AUD-LHR

There’s Only The One Killarney
Reached KLIA at 6 pm and joined the queue. Good thing I had checked in online the night before as I could just proceed to another desk to drop off my bag. The flight departure was revised to 2035 from 2000. No matter for it meant less transit time in Abu Dhabi (I was flying Etihad again).

Saturday, 28 April 2012

STN-SNN

We landed at Heathrow at a quarter to 7 am. It was a bleak grey morning. I quickly made my way to immigration and joined the queue. This time, it took me 20 minutes to clear immigration, compared to an hour when I was last there in February. Yes, I noted the time. I was at the counter for a while though, chatting with the immigration lady. I told her I was in London briefly in February en route to Iceland; she was interested to know what was in Iceland. I told her I planned to watch a football match. She seemed surprised that Arsenal have supporters in some far flung country in the Far East and I told her that Arsenal actually came to Malaysia last year and would come again this summer. She was suitably impressed with the fact. And mind you, she’s a ManUre supporter. Well, at least she seemed pleasant enough.

After freshening up, I went to search for the National Express coach ticket office to collect my ticket for another planned trip. Then I made my way to the Underground and took the tube to Green Park.

It was pissing steady non-stop rain and it was an uncomfortable and unseasonably chilly end-April morning. I walked to Bond Street and then to Oxford Street (didn’t visit Oxford Street back in February). Then I made my way to Marylebone Road for my coach to Stansted Airport. The rain continued relentlessly.

The coach was 10 minutes early but we still left on time. It took us through North London - Camden, Finsbury Park, Seven Sisters and then... the dark side of North London - yes, you guessed it: the scum side of North London. You could see and sense it from the change in stores lining the road, the change in demography and population to the scaffolded flats. From the classy side to the dilapidated side.

We reached Stansted 70 minutes later and I went to drop off my bag.

I slept throughout the flight and only got up just before we landed at Shannon Airport. It was a sunshiny, bright day and boy, was I relieved that I didn’t stick around in London for much longer.

I took bus Eireann from the airport to Limerick City. The fare for the 25-minute bus ride was €7.20. I thought it was expensive. I thought Ireland was expensive when I visited Dublin during my uni days and it still is (even after the financial crisis). Indeed, there were a few times when I had to literally stop my jaw dropping at the prices quoted to me.

I walked in the city centre and even crossed over to King John’s Castle. Then I retraced my steps back to the bus station. Had a light meal at the cafe of the adjoining train station.

Our bus for Killarney came on time. The fare was a jaw-dropping €19. Again, I dozed off on the bus and only woke when we arrived in Killarney. I walked from the bus station to my hostel in New Street. The merry people of Killarney were on the streets, already drunk or half-way there. Well, it was 2230 in the evening. Luckily I found my hostel without much problem. I checked in, paid the balance of my room bill and went to my room. I then went back to the hostel lobby to check my mails etc.

Sunday, 29 April 2012
This morning, I woke up to hear people talking in the early hours. Well, at least they were talking and not quarrelling or kicking my door (I had that in Bonn). I woke again after 7 and went to have breakfast an hour later. I decided to join the Ring of Kerry tour (cost me €17.50) and as the pick-up was at 10, decided to walk around the town centre first. It was a bright, sunny albeit cold morning.

The pick-up came at 1010 and after changing buses, we left Killarney at 1030. The driver-guide was great. He talked almost non-stop, pointing out places of interest and explaining the background or story behind. He even sang a few songs.

We drove through the beautiful Kerry countryside, passing villages and towns, rolling countryside, grazing cattle and occasionally stopping for Kodak moments. We passed rivers and streams, narrow bridges, bog land and saw the Atlantic Ocean. It was all so beautiful and we were indeed lucky that the weather was so great. The wind was very so strong at places though that I felt blown around. We stopped at a diner facing the mighty Atlantic Ocean for lunch (I thought lunch was over-priced) before continuing on. We finally completed our circle and drove through Killarney National Park before we were dropped at various locations.



The gale was so strong today that strangely enough, we looked like we were doing the Riverdance when we tried to fight it


I bought some bananas and veggie burgers from Tesco and had them for dinner. Then I went for an evening walk around the city centre before entering the Park for a brief while.

Monday, 30 April 2012

ORK-STN

The fine weather had deteriorated sometime last night and I woke to a cold morning. Had breakfast at 8 and left just after 10. I walked to the bus station and stopped at the Killarney Outlet Centre. There was just enough time for me to drop by Nike and I’m glad I did for I managed to buy an Arsenal jersey for only €6 (€30 originally). OK, it was a kid’s jersey but I could fit into it.

I paid €18 for the ticket to Cork. I didn’t have long to wait as the bus was due to depart at 1030.

We passed the beautiful County Kerry countryside before crossing over into County Cork. We reached Cork bus station (Parnell Place) 100 minutes later. I sat down and pondered my next course of action. I had planned to go to Blarney Castle so when I saw the next bus was at 1230, I decided to head there first.

The return ticket was €6.20. We reached Blarney Village half an hour later. I walked to Blarney Castle and bought the entrance ticket (a whooping €12) and left my bag in a store room across the ticket office. Then I went to explore the castle. I even went up to the tower and kissed the Blarney Stone, the legendary Stone of Eloquence. Let’s see if I have the gift of gab now. Hah!

I left at 2.25 pm and walked to the bus stop to get a bus back to Cork. The weather had not improved, if anything it seemed to have deteriorated further - and yes, it was possible for the weather to get worse. I walked around the city before returning to the bus station. It was getting way too cold for comfort and the rain and the strong winds were getting to me.

I decided to leave early for the airport and a good decision it was too as there was free WiFi there. Was feeling very sleepy as I boarded the plane and slept throughout the flight.

We landed at Stansted after 11 pm. I didn’t realise that we had to take a shuttle to the main terminal. Stansted is a major hub for RyanAir and that meant there were a lot of other passengers there with the same idea I had: overnighting at the airport. I spent a long time trying to find a seat. I hardly slept as it was noisy with other shuffling passengers, cleaners with their machines and airport staff going around.

To be continued