Monday, May 21, 2012

How I Spent My Pre-Summer Vacation: Second Leg

Tuesday, May Day 2012

Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of

I took the 0515 easyBus back to London (I was the only passenger!). The plan was to fly out to another destination this morning but me being the scatterbrain absent-minded ditsy me, had the airport all wrong and of course that meant I missed my flight. I still went to the right airport with the hope that the flight had been delayed but no such luck. So there I was at the airport, feeling sad and depressed and everything in between. I contemplated getting another flight out to somewhere but the destinations that flashed across the departure screen didn’t appeal to me. And because I’ve been to most if not some of them. So I texted Fifi telling her that I was in the danger of being homeless (she did invite me over to Nottingham but as she would be working most days, I decided not to take up on her offer) and she suggested checking into Malaysia Hall. Ha, it didn’t even cross my mind.

So I took the coach back to London (the coach was late by 20 minutes) and slept all the way (was so sleep-deprived). It took about 100 minutes to reach Victoria coach station. At Victoria Coach Station, I checked to see if there was any bus I could take to Europe. Well, I could take a coach out to Belgium, or Czech Republic, or Amsterdam or Paris but they all cost a bomb and besides I’d been to those places anyway. So I headed to Malaysia Hall at Bayswater and checked in. Oh, and this was when my suitcase started to give me problems. The wheels refused to turn (I think it’s because of the dirt and dust they encountered throughout my previous trips) at times so much so I had to practically drag it behind me, all 15 kg of it (15 kg as I had RyanAir check-in baggage restriction to adhere to) - for the better part of the remainder of my trip.

I went out again to get some groceries and then to get dinner before settling in for the day.

Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Day 1 At The Museums

I decided to revisit the British Museum today after some banking business. This was because of a few reasons: one, the weather was so miserable it deemed walking outside as a crazy idea; and two, because I have to watch my funds. An unexpected stay in London comes with its associated costs - namely accommodation and meals - and I was afraid if the pound sterling I brought was not enough to begin with.

I took the bus to the British Museum and stayed there for more than 4 hours (and I still have unfinished business there!). I then took the tube back to Bayswater and decided to cheer myself up with some Chris Evans so I went to watch The Avengers. Yes, I needed to exercise financial restraint but I needed cheering up too, OK? And Chris Evans would cheer me up just nicely (and boy, did he).




There are quite a few mummies at the British Museum, including cat mummies. I actually worried if my photos of them would develop successfully. Or if I would be cursed and then die from a mysterious death. Of course, I might still die from a mysterious death (God forbid). Who’s to know?

What do you think? See any similarities with the characters from the movie?


After the movie, I bought dinner to go and spent the rest of the day in my room. I was already sleepy by 10 pm. Must be from all that walking!

Thursday, 3 May 2012

Day 2 At The Museums

The weather still hadn’t improved today. If anything, it was colder than yesterday. 3 May? It felt more like 3 February! After a light breakfast, I set off for the Victoria & Albert Museum. I walked through Kensington Gardens and despite the weather, there were quite a few people around - jogging, strolling, brisk walking, walking their dogs etc. I spent more than six hours at the V&A and I still wasn’t done come closing time. Another museum to revisit then.

I went back to my room and performed prayers. I dragged myself out after 8 pm into the chilly evening to get dinner.

Friday, 4 May 2012

Day 3 At The Museums

Today, the maximum temperature was predicted to be 10C. It’s nice that the mercury struggled to even reach double digits. So what to do on a day like this? Yes, Museum Day again! Today, I headed back to V&A to finish off yesterday’s unfinished business.

After that, I headed to the Natural History Museum. I spent close to two hours there. Then I headed back to Malaysia Hall for prayers and to collect my bag.

I took the bus to Russell Square and walked to Endsleigh Gardens. I’d be squatting at a friend’s student digs tonight. I had asked her weeks earlier if I could and she said yes. Her room temperature was set to a tropical climate so it was quite warm in there - except when I slept.

Saturday, 5 May 2012
STN-BGY
Woke for prayers and as I was drifting back to sleep (or at least trying to), I heard someone gasping repeatedly. Didn’t take me long to figure it was someone moaning in ecstasy, not in pain. Heh. Didn’t help me in my attempt to fall asleep.

Finally dragged myself up at 8 and showered. A light breakfast followed. I finally left after 11 and walked to Russell Square station for the tube to Arsenal. The ride took about 20 minutes. I walked leisurely browsing the pre-match stalls and happily soaked in the atmosphere. The rain continued doggedly on so I decided to head into the stadium. It was a bitterly cold May day today with maximum temperature expected to reach only 9C. Yes, maximum temperature, not minimum.

Finally, the match kicked off. Yossi scored an early goal for us, his birthday present to the Gunners. However, Arsenal let Norwich back into the game and pretty soon, we were even trailing by a goal. Seriously WTF. We were shouting for the lads to wake up and urging them on from the stands. The second half didn’t progress any better but somehow van Persie managed to score a brace. But of course we had to concede just minutes before full time. Great, just great. I flew all the way, went to all that trouble securing a ticket, arranged my itinerary to fit in this match and they couldn’t even win?! 2 points ahead from Spuds and Newcastle having played one game more. Now third place is ours to lose. Sometimes I feel like smacking every one of them - except for van Persie of course - hard. Damn you.

I stayed for a bit to see the lap of appreciation before I hurried off, well, as best I could. The shuffle back to the tube station and the queue I had to fight to get into the station, onto the platform and into the tube... wow. Reached my friend’s digs and had to text her twice AND called her to open the door. Great. I so hate having to pay exorbitant roaming charges.

I quickly changed, finished packing, performed prayers then left for the bus stop. I was lucky to get an immediate bus to Baker Street. I had to catch a bus to Stansted Airport from a stop at Gloucester Place near Baker Street. On my way to the bus stop, I passed a bar and saw the Chelshit fans there, waiting for their FA Cup Final match against Liverpool.

The bus took a totally different route this time from the route just the week before. we didn’t pass the scums’ part at all. We reached Stansted at 5.45 pm and I immediately dropped my bag off. Flight took off on time. I tried to nap knowing it’d be almost impossible to sleep later but sleep eluded me.

We landed at Milan Orio al Serio airport just after 10 pm. Immigration was a breeze - in fact I was surprised there was one at all, seeing our flight originated from an EU country - and my bag appeared early too. After freshening up and performing prayers, I went to search for a seat to rest. Unfortunately, there was a trio of Chinese passengers nearby who talked throughout the night, rendering sleep impossible. *sigh*

To be continued