Friday, May 25, 2012

How I Spent My Pre-Summer Vacation: Final Leg

Friday, 11 May 2012
I woke up for prayers and tried to sleep again. Alas, my neighbours had other ideas. I didn’t know how many people were crammed in the two or three neighbouring rooms (not sure whether they occupied two or three rooms) but it sounded like Chinatown down there. I finally dragged myself up, resigned to the fact I would not be able to fall asleep again.

Before I left the hotel, I asked the guy at the reception if I could change rooms. I told him while I hated having to change rooms, my neighbours were too noisy for me. He checked the system and told me the group would be checking out that day. Phew!

It was a sunny morning for a change with gorgeous blue skies and white fluffy clouds. I walked around the area before taking a bus to Oxford Street. I went into some stores before turning to Bond Street. I walked up to 6 Burlington Gardens. See, there was this Leather Forever exhibition by French luxury brand Hermès. I spent a while there lusting over those gorgeous Hermès bags. No photography was allowed though.

After satisfying my lust, I walked on passing Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Chinatown before making my way to Trafalgar Square. I thought I’d visit the National Gallery. Alas, this visit served to remind me that while I could spend hours at a museum, I’m not as drawn to art galleries. I made my escape within half an hour and walked down Whitehall to Parliament Street, cross the Westminster Bridge and along the south bank of the Thames to Tate Modern. I decided to revisit Tate Modern, but only to avail of the free WiFi.



I could sit and stare for hours until my eyes cross but paintings just don’t speak to me. Art galleries don’t appeal to me like museums and ruins do


It was windy along the river and got colder as the afternoon progressed. I crossed the Millennium Bridge and took bus 23 near St Paul’s Cathedral back to Bayswater. Bus journeys take longer than tube rides of course but I always prefer being on the ground than underground.

I stayed in my room that evening as I had an early start the next day.

Saturday, 12 May 2012
It was a cold albeit clear morning when I left just after 7 am. I took the Circle line to Victoria (of all the underground lines, I dislike the Circle line the most) and walked to Victoria Coach. I then waited for my 8 am bus to Oxford. The best thing is, there’s free WiFi on the bus so I happily caught up with Arsenal news.

We reached Oxford bus station at Gloucester Green at 0940 and it was another wait for the X5 bus to Bicester Village. Yes, it was shopping day today and I could hardly wait! I was also due to meet Fifi and family today, who had kindly and thoughtfully offered to drive down to meet me ;’)

We reached Bicester Village after 20 minutes and I walked to the outlet. There were a lot of people about. Well, it was a Saturday and the weather was behaving itself for once. There are a lot of stores (I saw a few Burberry stores alone!). I decided to browse leisurely first and mentally store the items that caught my fancy.

As the morning progressed and I had browsed a few stores, I found that there were not that many items that caught my fancy. Sure, I love toiletries and I could stock up at Crabtree & Evelyn or L’Occitane but I was already having problems with stupid suitcase as it was. so no toiletries or household goods (even those crystal pieces). And I found that I didn’t quite enjoy Bicester Village as I thought I would. I much prefer Fox Town and even La Vallée Village in Paris. After purchasing the few light items I had earmarked, I went to perform prayers (at least they are thoughtful enough to provide a multi-faith prayer room) and walked to nearby Tesco to get lunch. Then I sat down, availed of the free WiFi and waited for Fifi to arrive.

We met at Cath Kidston store and after helping her decide on her purchases, we left and drove back to Oxford. Abar parked at some parking grounds and we walked into the city. The plan was to find a picnic spot but alas, no matter how hard we tried, were hard-pressed to find a picnic spot. It didn’t help that some faculties at Oxford had their graduation day then. Finally, we settled on the steps of a building.

A shopkeeper had told us that we could catch the bus to London at one of the bus stands instead of at Gloucester Green which was a bit of a walk away. We had identified the bus stand and had no trouble locating it again for my 7 pm bus. It was much too soon to say goodbye to Fifi and family ;’(

We arrived in London after 8. I got down at Marble Arch, browsed a store briefly before taking a bus back to Bayswater. I stopped at the reception and asked if there was something wrong with the water system as I’d not had hot water for the past two days in the bathroom (both shower and sink).

‘No matter how long I stand in the shower shivering, I don’t get a drop of hot water at all,’ I told them. And no, there was no hot tub in my bathroom (if there was a tub, it’d be a cold tub)


Sunday, 13 May 2012
I had another visit to Ashburton Grove today! I had earlier bought return coach ticket to Birmingham but I was unable to secure any match ticket at The Hawthorns despite my best efforts. However, on Tuesday evening in Gjirokastër, I saw a tweet saying the match would be screen at the Emirates at only £8. I tried to purchase it but in the end, had to ask for Fifi’s help (something is wrong with my credit card. I couldn’t purchase the ticket to the match against Norwich either and had to ask for someone to help too).

I thought of visiting the British Museum first and then from there hop on the Piccadilly line to Arsenal but fate had other plans for me. In the end, I decided to head straight to Ashburton Grove – and it turned out to be a good decision too for Central line was closed from Marble to Bethnal Green. WTH! Now I had to take the stupid Circle line to Paddington, change to Bakerloo line to Piccadilly Circus and change yet again to Piccadilly line for Arsenal. I still arrived early so I walked around the stadium and then made my way to The Toolington to get my hands on So Paddy Got Up. I had to part with £20 for it.

I returned to the stadium and went to the Arsenal store. Fortunately or unfortunately, the sale hadn’t started so I left with only some pins. After taking some photos, I made my way to Tesco to get lunch before returning and making my way to Royal Oak. I wanted to make sure I got a good seat.

The atmosphere was great although I could sense some tension beneath the surface. We were in third place but such were the points that Spuds at one point behind and Newcastle at two points behind could also end up in third place should we mess up again. And honestly, we looked like we had really been missing Arteta. I shudder to think what would have happened had he not joined Arsenal on transfer deadline day.

The match started and I had never felt having my heart in my mouth so acutely as then. We finally led again thanks to Koscielny but looked in danger of losing that lead. But finally, thankfully, after five minutes of Froggie time, we made it. We won! I knew the others around me were busy checking on the other results too (all matches kicked off at 3 pm today, it being the last day of the season). For me, I couldn’t care less whether Man Shitty or ManUre won (OK, I’d hate to see ManUre win but Petit Pute winning is equally an unattractive idea), it’s always been The Arsenal. I was gutted that Bolton got relegated and QPR instead stayed up. Another season with Sparky and Jokey Bastard. Dang!

I will watch Arsenal for anything


It was another circuitous tube trip back to Bayswater. This time, I took the Piccadilly line to South Kensington and changed for the Circle line to Bayswater. It sounded easier than done. There were delays and it took a while before I finally reached Bayswater.

Monday, 14 May 2012

LHR-AUD

Time to go home but not before I made some last-minute purchases. The lovely weekend weather did not last and I was drizzling as I went on my last stroll around Bayswater. I finally left the hotel after 11 am and took the tube from Queensway to Bond Street, changed to Jubilee line to Green Park and finally changed to Piccadilly line to Heathrow. Good thing I had checked in online, and even if I hadn’t, the queue was non-existent. I did try submitting my VAT form but gave up as the process took too long (there were a few Middle Easterners ahead of me with bundles of receipts!), deciding to do it after security check.

I performed prayers first and then went to the VAT office and it was EMPTY. I was the only one there and the process took less than the five seconds it took the officer to check and stamp my form. Hah!

There was a delay in boarding our flight and taking off. I was delighted to see the empty flight, so empty I could stretch out on all four middle seats. We landed at Abu Dhabi just after midnight.

Tuesday, 15 May 2012

AUD-KUL

We landed at KLIA at 2.10 pm. I hurried out of the plane, took the aerotrain to the main building, went through autogate (slower than usual today) and went to perform prayers. I knew the bags would take a while to come out and I was right. My bag finally appeared at 2.52 pm and I ran as fast as I could drag a 17-kg bag behind me to catch the 3 pm KLIA Express train to KL Sentral.

And that was my pre-summer vacation. Five countries only (including the brief stopover in Bergamo) this time compared to last year (but then again, last year’s was a packed, whirlwind tour). I’m already thinking of where to go next year but hey, I’m a planner.