Thursday, May 24, 2012

How I Spent My Pre-Summer Vacation: Fifth Leg

Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Call Me, Maybe

We reached Arion Hotel after a ten-minute drive along the winding streets and I felt increasingly relieved that I agreed to share a cab with Millie. We reached the hotel and I checked in. Millie got a room too although the girl at the reception told her she might have to change rooms the following day.

I went up to my room to deposit my bag and left after performing prayers. I walked to the old town, walking along the sea. There were some people swimming in the shallow end. The water was clear and I could see that there were rocks/reefs in the sea so if you want to have a dip, you have to be careful not to cut yourself. The yachts formed a line at the horizon and you could see the mainland too in the far distance. Occasionally, I passed stalls selling strawberries. I was tempted but I couldn’t possibly eat three packs of strawberries all by myself!

I walked on and the old citadel (Palaio Frourio) became clearer as I neared the town centre. I decided to check if it was opened – this would save me the trip the next morning – and climbed up the low hill to the citadel. The guide told me the grounds were opened (the museum had already closed at 3 pm) so I walked in the old citadel happily. I spent more than an hour exploring the grounds.

After that I walked around, passing The Palace of Saints Michael and George (Palaia Anaktora). Then I walked to the old town centre and I must say, I love the old town! It’s very charming! There are many Venetian influenced buildings as it was under Venice for a few centuries. Not surprisingly, the old town of Corfu is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its’a also a very family-friendly place. The shops in the old town mainly sell goods produced in Corfu itself such as olive oil, products based on olive oil (soap, beauty products), wood products from the olive tree), also some fruit called kumquat and locally produced wine (not for us obviously). There are also lots of jewellery stores - mainly aquamarine (no pearl, surprise, surprise), gold, silver, and even Murano jewellery (well, it is Venetian-influenced). I highly recommend this place to everyone!

I walked around, losing myself in small lanes, walking in no particular direction. I was just hungry to absorb the colours, smell and sights around me. I finally decided to buy souvenirs at a shop (I had originally planned to do it the following day). The nice shopkeeper also gave me a lovely calendar of Corfu. Before I left, I asked him where I could buy bus tickets. He gave me directions so I headed there after buying some water and pies for dinner.

I walked to San Rocco Square and found the bus info kiosk. After determining the stop for the airport bus, I walked back. I wasn’t quite sure of the direction but trusted my instinct. Thank God my instincts turned out to be right. I reached the hotel at 9.40 pm. Wow! I walked for hours and didn’t even feel it.

I spent the evening online and was absorbed with the YouTube of the Harvard baseball team synchronised dancing to Call Me, Maybe. Play of the day indeed! Heh.



Err, no exactly the right lyrics there
Thursday, 10 May 2012
After breakfast, I left the hotel and walked around the hotel vicinity before heading to the old town. I had a few more souvenirs to buy and I also wanted to soak up the atmosphere again. I wandered up the same road I took the evening before to the town centre. Alas, I couldn’t stay long as I had to hurry back to the hotel before 12 noon to check out.

I checked out slightly after 12 and waited for the bus to town. The stop is right in front of the hotel, how convenient is that? The bus fare (purchased from the bus kiosk) is €1.10. I took the bus to San Rocco Square and changed for the 1 pm bus to the airport. The airport is quite near the city, less than 2 km away and I dare say had it not been for my stupid bag and the hot day, I could walk to the airport. The ride to the airport took less than ten minutes. There I sat and waited for my flight. Thankfully, there was WiFi connection at the airport to occupy me.

There are flights from Corfu to Leeds, East Midlands, London and Glasgow so I saw quite a few British tourists at the airport. Some were tanned; they had obviously been spending their time at one of the many beaches on the island. I don’t much care for the beach and sea coming from a tropical country myself. I’d rather explore the beaches and islands in my country.

We took off on time – I sat at the very last row – and landed at Stansted about ten minutes earlier. This time, we landed at the main terminal as we didn’t have to take a shuttle train. As with most airports, we had to trek quite a bit before we reach immigration. I was the first to reach the non-EU citizens counter. The UK/EU counter, on the other hand, was very long. As you may have heard, there was a major queuing problem at British airports in the last few days with some poor passengers queuing more than two hours! I do wonder if they are prepared for the London Olympic in a few short weeks. As for me, I always hurry out of airplanes and rush to the immigration because I just hate waiting. Even if I have to go to the bathroom, I’d wait until I’ve cleared immigration.

Anyway. I didn’t have long to wait for my bag; it appeared shortly after my bathroom visit. I made my way to the bus station, to the easyBus stand. The ground looked wet (in fact there was a small section at the airport car park that was flooded). We passed rapeseed fields and farms before the outskirts of London. We left Stansted at 1915 and arrived at Baker Street at 2030. I walked down to Marylebone Road to get a bus to Bayswater – no way was I going to drag my stupid suitcase up and down those underground station steps, and besides I would have to change lines, when I can just a bus direct to Bayswater. It took a while for the bus 27 to arrive though. I got down at Westbourne Grove and walked to my hotel. I checked in after 9 pm.

It was freezing in my room; the radiator was turned off unlike during my previous visit when it was turned on at night.

To be continued