Monday, September 26, 2011

Bundle Of Joy

Have you heard of the ‘bundle’ trade? Majalah 3 once covered this trade in one of its segments (I didn’t pay much attention then though as I think it was focussing on the trade in Kelantan or somewhere). Well, apparently it’s a thriving trade in KL (no, I don’t have the figures or stats to back this up). I myself have just ‘stumbled’ upon this trade.

The story is that I am looking for some gear for a trip and asked for suggestions from a colleague. He asked if I would be using the stuff often and I said no. He then suggested I check out the bundle stalls as it does not make economical sense to purchase things brand new for a one-off use. I must admit that he has a point. It’s proving to be difficult for me to find the things I need in KL anyway (it doesn’t help that we don’t have many charity shops here) so I decided to take his advice. Besides, I have nothing to lose. In fact, at least two of my work mates have bought their work shoes at a bundle and I must say they look to be in mint condition: leather, Italian-made men’s shoes from RM30. What a bargain, eh? And I’m not one to refuse bargains.

So last Saturday, I made an impromptu plan to go to Chow Kit. It’s a part of the city I hardly ever go to because of its sleazy unsafe black reputation but hey, at least it was broad daylight. I took the monorail to Chow Kit station and went to the stalls behind Uda Ocean. I had no clue where exactly the stalls were but I was lucky to stumble into a stall and enquired two fellow customers I met there. Looked like I was on the right track, so far so good. I asked where I could find some shoes and another stall-keeper suggested I go behind another building. I found the stall alright: it had men’s work shoes, sport shoes, boots, outdoor hiking/trekking shoes (there were a few Skechers and Timberland pairs)... I even sighted a pair of leather Converse.

Unfortunately, there were not many bundle stalls around the area. Well, maybe there were but I just didn’t know where exactly they were located. The few stalls I found were mainly selling clothes and jeans but I managed to find some stuff so it wasn’t a wasted journey. And mind you, it being Chow Kit in the middle of the day meant it wasn’t long before I was perspiring buckets. I wanted to find more but decided that was enough for the day and besides I was getting hungry. (I read – and once found a bundle store in Pertama – that there are bundle stores in shopping complexes but they are likely to carry filtered stock and have the price hiked up (the shop rent and air-conditioning don’t come free you know)).

Now I know second-hand stuff whether sold at a jumble sale, flea market, car-boot sale or charity shops are not everyone’s cup of tea. Well, to each his own. I myself don’t mind gently-used items if they’re still in good condition. There are items that are lovingly cared and looked after and where the previous owners have no choice but to let go (maybe because of relocation, down-sizing etc) and to me, it’s not a crime to be the next owner. It’s not as if we are stealing them anyway. In fact, I’m of the opinion that it’s much better to own a second-hand item than to wear a new but fake item. At least you’re being genuine. (I’m also of the opinion that it’s better to wear a brand-less thing than to wear a fake thing). Of course there are also items sold especially at jumble sales that rightly should be considered as junk instead but if there’s a demand for them, who are we to control the supply? And besides, there are a lot of thriving flea markets in other major cities (granted, they also sell antiques, collectibles, accessories, craft besides clothes) so if they are good enough for say, Londoners, why not to us as well?

If you do know of any bundle stall/store locations in KL, do share OK. I now go a bundle on bundle shopping!

~~~~~~~~

Arsenal made it to the next round of the Carling Cup after coming from behind to tame the Shrews (I can’t resist that). The English duo Gibbs and new boy Ox and another ‘new’ boy Yossi scored the third.







Then came Survival Saturday. If Arsenal lost and West Brom and Fulham drew, Arsenal would be bottom of the league come 5 pm last Saturday. It was crucial and nerve-wrecking and I was in a bundle of nerves. And to be honest, I had problems imagining where the goals would come from in the first half.

I was tuned to another channel and switched back just in time to see the Captain score. Ten minutes later, Wheater was sent off for denying a goal-scoring opportunity (I think that’s the term?) and we continued attacking the Bolton defence. I must say I was happy and pleased to see the team working like they did in the second-half. Whatever was said or slipped into drinks at the break clearly helped. RvP scored his second - and his century of goals for the Arsenal – shortly after. I was hoping for a RvP hat-trick but he was subbed – presumably for the match in mid-week. Song wrapped things up with our third goal and it was relief around the Emirates at the final whistle. Imagine how much better we might have been had Song not been suspended for three matches.






But at least we’re (hopefully) getting our act together. Onwards and upwards. Forward Arsenal!!! Give us more joy please!