Thursday, July 14, 2011

Arsenal Asia Tour: Part I – Training Session


I went for the training session Tuesday evening (the one in the morning was a closed-door session). It was scheduled to commence at 1900. I arrived early and browsed the stalls but didn’t feel enticed to buy anything. I made my way to the gate then remembered I should head for the green gate (I was following the crowd to the red gate) so I turned back and headed for the green gate.

There were guards at the gate and they searched our bags before letting us in. I had to leave my water bottles behind (boohoo) before I could enter the ‘turnstile’ (not sure what it’s called). Hunted for the female prayer room first before I sought out the best block to sit at.

I joined the other Gooners clad in red-and-white, blue away, custard and redcurrant away jerseys and sat down. It was bloody humid but of course; thankfully the haze seemed to have lifted so it was a good clear typical tropical evening.

We saw a bus pull up and got excited but it was some time before an announcement was made. I must say I don’t think the PA system was that good because I could hardly make out the names that were announced. Arsène came on the pitch at 1850 to loud roars from the crowd. He walked around and waved a bit. Then some other club officials came on, Pat Rice included. They had a kick about then Gunnersaurus came on. I had to laugh when he made his entrance. Didn’t realise he travelled along too (hmm, did he sleep in that during the flight too?). He must be cursing the humidity.

Then the players came on at 1905 one by one. Again, I wasn’t happy with the PA system because I couldn’t make out what was being announced at all. I had to squint hard to make out the players (dang it, left my binoculars behind). I was pleased though that the session started on time and not on Malaysian time. The lads then donned blue and yellow bibs before doing couple of laps around the pitch (we tried to distract them) followed by some stretching and ball passing/juggling. After the light exercise, the players engaged in a match. Ryo was the nearest to where I was sitting and I must say I was pretty impressed with him. Unfortunately, the yellow-bib side didn’t score though they hit the bar a few times (either that or shooting the ball up into the sky). The blue-bib side managed to score (Chamakh slotted it in). After 20 minutes, they had a short water break (yes, it was so humid) then started the ‘second half’.I left at a quarter past at 8 to perform prayers and it must have been then when the players threw their caps at the crowd (boohoo, missed that!). The training match was over when I emerged from the prayer room (sob sob) so after re-entering the stadium to be sure.

I left the stadium with the roar of the crowd ringing in my ears, feeling very happy that I came so close to the Arsenal squad.