Tuesday, April 05, 2011

The F-Word

When I was growing up, the F-word was considered a taboo. I didn’t speak the word - if you did speak the word freely back then when I was growing up, you’d either be ostracised for your filthy mouth/choice of vocabulary or be smacked by your religious teacher/fierce senior (the latter was either a more painful or scarier prospect) and the mere mention of it made me uncomfortable. I cringed when I heard the word in movies and thought it was just crude, that the reason it was included was to excite the audience into watching it.

It was so taboo back then that I even thought those who used the word were bad, uncultured, uncouth, irresponsible beings. Until one day, I found myself saying the word. Actually, no. What happened was that I actually said the word out loud and didn’t even realise it until I noticed my girlfriends staring intently at me. It took me some time before I asked, ‘Er, did I just say the f-word?’.

Well, I got more acquainted (to term it loosely) with the word when I was in Blighty. My course-mates and college mates used it loosely and over time, I found the word less offensive, less taboo and less crude. In fact, I’m pretty much quite tolerant of the word now, having come across the word on a daily basis now. (And maybe the liberal over-use of that word has simply shed its taboo quality off and made it more acceptable?).

Yes, so I do say the word now (OK, quite regularly. So shoot me. In fact, just a few days ago, I was so angry at some idiot who kept harassing me via text messages that I replied and included that word in my text reply). I am capable of swearing like a sailor and cursing like a trooper after all (but then again, does anyone effing care anyway). And, anyway, this word? Well, it’s no longer taboo. If you think so, I’m afraid you’re an old person.