Wednesday, July 07, 2010

My Fourth Of July Weekend

Saturday, 3 July 2010
I left home early Saturday morning for my morning flight out. And would you believe it, it rained just as I stepped out. Managed to reach KL Sentral just in time for the 0700 bus to KLIA. Did a bit of shopping at the airport – would you believe it, I left KLCC on Friday empty-handed? – and was happy with the bargains enjoyed.

The flight took off on time and we landed at Ninoy Aquino International Airport on time. Took a metred cab (as advised by Andrea) to Makati Apartelle. Audrey had already arrived (she arrived a day earlier but stayed at another hostel the night before). After resting and a light tea, we headed out and asked for jeepney directions to SM Mall of Asia. We had to change jeepneys at Gil Puyat LRT station as there was no direct service to the mall. A note of caution: be careful with your valuables when riding the jeepney as crimes have been known to occur to riders. According to Andrea, the modus operandi is to snatch riders’ jewellery when the jeepney stops at traffic lights or is caught in a jam.

There was a sale at the mall but I only bought a huge bottle of water, two novels (books are soo cheap over there! And I got a 20% discount on top of that) and a t-shirt. Then we walked to the IMAX theatre and waited for Andrea and co. as we were meeting them for dinner. We only waited for about ten minutes before Andrea pulled up and took us to a seafood place nearby. There was a wet market selling all kind of seafood (including frogs too ;p) and restaurants (complete with stages for bands!). Andrea had made reservation at one of the restos but we were still made to wait before we got our table (it was a long wait too, definitely more than half an hour). To kill time, I suggested we check out the market as I’d like to get acquainted with my food first, so to speak.

We only had dinner – and what a feast it was! – around 9 pm and we were so stuffed like stuffed crabs (well, I was a stuffed Cancerian definitely) at the end of it that we declined the offer of dessert. Also there was that matter of a football match between the Argies and Germany...

Andrea drove us back to the apartment and we managed to tune in to a bit of the first half. The second half was definitely more entertaining with three additional goals scored by the Germans. Haha Maradona. He must be nervoussshhh (reference to his statement on Schweinsteiger) and devastated. I couldn’t ask for more than this result and the one the evening before which saw Brazil being eliminated.

It was late when I finally turned in and I struggled to watch the second half of the Spain-Paraguay match.

Sunday, 4 July 2010

We were meeting up with Andrea and family today and while waiting, I managed to get a haircut! It was a much-needed haircut and I’m glad I managed it.

Andrea came just after 10 and we set off to Tagaytay, about 56 km away from Manila. We reached Tagaytay in less than two hours and enjoyed a somewhat hazy view of the Taal Lake (a lake within an island within a lake) and Taal Volcano as we drove through the town; actually we did consider hiking up to the volcano but there was a level 2 alert issued so that was out of the question. We drove on to a private house for lunch (Andrea’s brother had made reservation for us). The owner does not advertise the restaurant on the web although the place is recently featured in a magazine. Bookings can be done via email to the husband-and-wife owners. It was a charming place overlooking a valley and the restaurant is in a separate building from the house. I had spaghetti with mussels for my main course.

After lunch, we headed to The Country Club. Andrea had secured a pass for all of us beforehand (it was an exclusive club; guests need a pass before they can use the facilities). We were about to take a cable car to the club house when there was a flash of lightning and what that meant was the hourly cable car service was suspended. So we got back to the car and drove to the club instead. It started pouring as we reached the club and got too wet to do anything. We did get on the shuttle to visit the mini zoo but it was raining too heavily and I’m sure the animals were also more interested in seeking shelter than meeting us.

We returned to the club house and, for want of anything to do, decided to have some snack. Snack turned out to be pizzas... so it was early dinner for us then.

It was starting to get dark when we left the club (made worse by the dark clouds threatening more rain). The rain only hit certain areas of Manila though and despite the heavy rain on the way back, we managed to reach the apartment by 8 pm.

It was only a few minutes upon entering our room when I felt a violent, urgent need to use the washroom. It continued ... yes, I had diarrhoea. And I forgot to pack my pills too. First time I forgot to bring any medication with me and I had to have diarrhoea. After discussing it, we agreed that it must be the spaghetti I had for lunch ;’(

Monday, 5 July 2010

An early start today as we planned to cover Intramuros and Quaipo and get to the SM Mall of Asia before 12 noon as Audrey had to catch her bus to Clark Airport at 12 noon. We took the jeepney to Gil Puyat and had to wait for the third train before we could battle ourselves into the packed morning train. We finally reached Central Terminal Station and met up with Andrea. It was already a hot day at 8 am and we decided to take the jeepney instead of walking 20 minutes to Intramuros. We had to wait for ten minutes before the jeepney moved because the driver was determined to squeeze in as many passengers as he could. It was a tight affair in the jeepney – there were 16 of us squeezed at the back and two passengers squeezed next to the driver in front.

We got down near Fort Santiago and after paying for admission, went in to explore the area. Andrea was explaining the history which I only half heard as I was giddy at the old stones and walls. Then we walked across to the Manila Cathedral. After spending a few minutes in there, we continued on. We would have lingered on but time was not on our side (and the traffic there is so unpredictable) so we left and took a cab to Quaipo. Famous for its Black Nazarene, the area is also home to a sizeable Muslim population. There are two mosques there, the Green Mosque (under renovation) and the Golden Mosque. I had entered the cathedral and church and thought it’s only appropriate to visit the Golden Mosque too. Andrea and Audrey didn’t follow me though as only Muslims were allowed in. Even then, the men at the gate looked at me and asked if I was Korean. Yup, I’m a scarf-donning Korean. I told them I’m a Malaysian instead of course and was allowed into the compound. I didn’t want Andrea and Audrey to wait too long so only took quick shots of the mosque and went out again, calling out salam to the men on my way out.

We had our brunch at a halal restaurant serving chicken (I think it was roasted chicken). Well, I was hungry enough. I finished my meal with some Chinese pills supplied by Andrea for my tummy.

It proved a tad challenging to flag down a cab but finally we managed to and were rewarded with an efficient driver who knew all the back roads and shortcuts. We made it to SM Mega Mall in good time. It was pouring when we reached there though. Audrey boarded the bus just before 12 noon and Andrea and I waited to wave her off. After that, we joined the lunch crowd seeking shelter and lunch in the mall. Then we walked to Shangri-la Plaza nearby. There were some Japanese movies shown for free and we caught the 2 pm screening of ‘Fourteen’. I found it boring and was almost moved to tears (of boredom). It was painful, in fact so painful that I had another diarrhoea attack. No, I wasn’t kidding. I had to buy some Imodium pills and isotonic drink from Mercury Drugs and we went to the nearby Shangri-la Hotel. It was then that I started feeling feverish. Could things get any worse?

We left at 5 pm and took a cab to Makati where we had dinner at a Japanese restaurant. I had miso soup with udon and seaweed for dinner – no seafood for the time being, please. After dinner, we walked to the nearby Mercury Drug to buy oral re-hydration salt and more isotonic drink. Then we took a cab back to the apartment and Andrea continued on her journey home. I turned in early that night and slept through Ronaldo’s confirmation of baby Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos, born on 17 June 2010. Hey Cristina, can’t you think of another name? Talk about being narcissistic.

Tuesday, 6 July 2010
Woke up feeling slightly better and to text messages from UK, KL and Australia. Thanks mates! Left the apartment just before 10 am and took the jeepney to The Landmark store on Makati Avenue. Went to explore Glorietta too but hurried back to The Landmark and crossed back to Greenbelt. Met up with Andrea at M&S in Greenbelt 5 and we went to find lunch – Andrea’s treat. Lunch was had at a Thai restaurant. After that, I borrowed Andrea’s credit card to purchase something before crossing over to The Landmark to buy some dried mangoes.

It was 2 pm when we left and we took a cab back to the apartment. Said our farewell in the cab before I went up to perform prayers. I had earlier informed that I’d be checking out late (the apartment charges P100 an hour after the 12 noon check-out; check-out after 3 pm is will be charged as a full day stay). I checked out just before 3 and settled the rent. The hostel called up a cab for me and I settled down to wait.

The ride back to the airport took half an hour and only cost P115 (as opposed to P200 when I arrived). I gave the cabbie P150 (inclusive of tip). It was chaotic in the airport as it was the last time I was there three years ago. My flight had been re-scheduled by more than two hours to depart at 1830 (I got the text from MAS in mid-February). We took off slightly later (plane was on the runway for some time) and landed after 10 pm. There were a lot of people also descending upon KLIA at that hour – I never knew there were so many flights arriving that late – and so the queues for the autogate and normal immigration counters were long. My bag was already waiting and I ran to get it and ran on to catch the 2240 train back to KL Sentral. It took seven minutes the cabbie to reach micasa – he was speeding alright. I had a speedy unpacking before finally hitting the sack after midnight feeling most knackered.

~~~~~~~~

Remember the July issue of the British GQ I told you about? Well, my friend got one alright... BUT she got the one with Rio Ferdinand in front. She’s a non-footie fan and thought they all looked the same (what?!). So it means I’ll be stuck with a Ferdinand GQ (yucks) because she doesn’t want to keep him either - not that I want to own him either but she tried to pacify me by saying there’s a tiny picture of Cesc in there. Tiny? *Sob* So I spent time at KLIA and in Manila scouring the magazine sections of bookstores looking for THE right GQ with the right cover. The Philippines are more into US than the UK and it was with some surprise that I discovered some British GQ BUT with either Ferdinand or new narcissistic daddy Cristina. Ugh (repeat five times). And they cost a bomb too, at P699, that’s close to RM50!!!

A Cesc-cover July issue of British GQ for me, for my birthday, anyone? Por favor???

~~~~~~~~

Well, Oranje demolished Brazil on Friday evening and Uruguay beat Ghana while the Germans continued their blitzkrieg on the Argies and Spain saw off Paraguay the following evening. Oranje has since beaten Uruguay for a date with the winner of the Spain-Germany match. Apparently Octopus Paul predicted a win for the Spaniards but I read that it was just a hoax. Besides, the Germans are too practical to be placing their beliefs on an octopus. Am planning an early night tonight to catch the match tomorrow morning.

Oh and Cesc has shaved. Thank God.