Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What's New, Scooby-Doo?

The good-looking new Chancellor tabled the new Budget yesterday. It’s a tough new budget (go here for details at a glance) aimed at balancing the books by 2016. Among others (and something that will impact non-UK residents, well those who will visit the UK anyway), UK VAT will be increased to 20% from 4 January 2011. Osborne told the House of Commons: ‘With this unavoidable budget, we’ve had to increase taxes, we’ve had to pay the bills of past irresponsibility, we’ve had to relearn the virtue prudence. Today we take decisive action to deal with the debts we inherited and confront the greatest economic risk facing our country.’

~~~~~~~~

I find myself buying a few items of accessories of late. I make a mental note to try and buy something in some countries I visit – amber necklace in Krakow, Fabergé pendants and amber bracelet in Russia, Swarovski pendant and bracelet in Düsseldorf and Paris respectively, a leather bracelet and ring in Fès and leather necklaces in Marrakesh (just remembered I didn’t buy anything in Rīga) ... and now that I’m back, I’m still buying them! Bought some necklaces and brooches from a Korean store in Ampang Point on Sunday (there’s a sizeable Korean population in Ampang if you don’t already know. Actually, I wanted to buy some tops at the Korean store but the neckline was a bit plunging). I’ve always thought the Koreans (in those dramas I watch) have a funny sense of dressing and accessorising but somehow they look good in what they wear.

A mate once told me that since befriending me, she found herself buying accessories too, implying she has been influenced by me. I never knew myself to be an influence on anyone before (OK, I am trying to get my nephew to be a Gooner *ahem* - and succeeding I think). I suppose I do like buying accessories. I have what I call ‘shopping phases’: there was a time when I was into semi-precious stones and ‘crystal’ accessories (at one stage, I was familiar with rose quartz, chalcedony, agate, carnelian etc talk).

Let’s see how long this current phase will last and what I will buy next (eeeks!).

~~~~~~~~

Cesc finally saw some World Cup action when he came on as a sub in the match against Honduras (seen here bored to tears while waiting). Pique bled more of that precious Barcelona DNA on the pitch – though I’m sure it was still for naught. Earlier, Portugal scored Seven Up against North Koreans and Chile beat a Senderos-less Switzerland 1-0. Last night, Uruguay beat Mexico and the French were fried and toasted. *Sniff* for Yoann Gourcuff. Henry came on as a sub in what could potentially be his last World Cup. Hopefully, there will be a French footie Revolution soon. Uruguay beat Mexico but the two are through to the Round of 16 anyway. They are joined by the Argies and South Korea who beat Greece and drew with Nigeria respectively.

I can’t decide which I would watch tonight: Slovenia vs England or Algeria vs USA.