Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day 2010



It’s Earth Day today – so soon after the volcanic ash effects from the eruption beneath an Iceland glacier forcing airspace closures across northern Europe for the last few days and the earthquake in China. Are those natural disasters simply nature’s way of telling us to treat it well or are they just acts of nature?

On my part, I continue to –
- Carry shopping bags and water bottles with me when I go shopping or travelling
- Carry food containers when buying food especially from the cafeteria here and even food bought from food courts
- Use detergents that cause the least impact on the environment
- Use public transportation
- Use resources as efficiently as I can.

I did not participate in Earth Hour because I already try hard to be energy-efficient everyday and not just on one designated evening. And besides I feel there are a lot of other more meaningful things that one can do to save the environment but hey, as long as it starts somewhere, why not. The problem is that’s where it stops too, for most people. They still use plastic bags, pack their food in polystyrene containers (made from liquid hydrocarbon no less), throw rubbish thoughtlessly, and drive everywhere... in short, do not change their lifestyle.

Happy Earth Day, everyone. In tribute, I’m wearing shades of green today. Well, except for my shoes.