Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Enter The Tiger



Our initial plan for the Lunar New Year was to go to Padang; unfortunately the earthquake happened and my parents decided not to go (if it were up to me, I’d just go. Surely not all hotels in Padang were destroyed and surely those in Bukittinggi would hardly be affected. And true enough, this was confirmed by the Padang travel agent I met at the MATTA Fair). Unfortunately, we had since bought new tickets to Langkawi so Padang was out. And because I couldn’t secure accommodation at any of TheOrganisation’s unit, I had to book a hotel room; it didn’t help that I only learnt of the unsuccessful booking 11 days before departure and most hotels were filling up fast if not already fully booked (and as we had visited Langkawi before, my parents just wanted to be based in Kuah so that pretty much limited the choice of hotels). I finally managed to secure a room a week before departure.

We flew out early Saturday morning and arrived at our hotel before 10 am (before the shops even opened). Luckily for us, the thoughtful receptionist took pity on my parents and allowed us an early check-in. We went to deposit our bags (parents had the obligatory morning tea) before going out to check out the shops. And my, what a bright, hot day it was. It was so hot that we were back at the hotel by 2 pm to rest. I only dared to venture out again at close to 6 pm and even then, it was a hot, humid evening.

I didn’t join my parents for dinner, having decided to check out the night market instead (in front of the run-down Langkawi Baron Hotel. I bought some food to go from the night market and returned to the hotel.

Sunday was pretty much a repeat of the day before although we took a different route to the shops. By Sunday evening, I was already fed-up and bored with the dirty, dusty, hot and humid town and in fact vowed that I wouldn’t return again. The rest of the island is too touristy and runs the risk of becoming tacky – just like Bali. God, I dislike Bali especially Kuta. I found it tacky beyond words. I really don’t see what the big fuss about Bali is especially when we have equally if not better beaches here.

I braved the early Monday morning heat to get some last-minute souvenirs before returning to the hotel to rest before our afternoon flight. What a relief to be back; yes, KL is hot too but I’m very sure Langkawi was at least 5 degrees hotter. I doubt I will return to the island. There are some places you don’t mind going again and again but there are some that you just don’t want to go to ever again. And that explains why I’ve been to Rome twice as many times as I’ve been to some places like Langkawi.

Oh and we had the Sultan of Selangor and his long-time actress companion on our flight back to KL.

~~~~~~~~

It looks like we’re in for another El Niño – which should explain the unusual extreme winter conditions in Europe and the US in recent weeks. In fact – and I hope I’m not exaggerating – I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re experiencing the beginning of El Niño in the country too: it would explain the unbearably hot weather these last few weeks (give me rain over hot weather any time). And guess when the phenomenon last occurred? Twelve years ago during the last Year of the Tiger. I remember it was so bad that we had water rationing. I pray it won’t be as bad this time around.

~~~~~~~~

We all know there are ten years in a decade, a hundred in a century and a thousand in a millennium. And yet some people seem to think that 2010 is a brand new decade when it’s the tenth year of the decade – just like there were those who thought year 2000 was the beginning of the new millennium when it was the last year of the last millennium. Not a hard concept to grasp surely.

~~~~~~~~

I’m now a new follower to the drama Merlin (yes, gasp aloud all you like), having never watched any until a few weeks ago (and now in the second season too). Thanks to my nieces (because of whom, I missed the first quarter of an hour of the Arsenal-Everton match), I am now hooked to the drama. It helps that Prince Arthur (Bradley James) is such an eye-candy and I can go to bed happy every Tuesday evening. Heh. Click here for official photos of the drama, here and here for more.


In the footstep of LOL Cats, a captioned photo of Colin and Bradley. They totally dig each other it seems


~~~~~~~~

And finally (what’s a blog entry without a mention of Arsenal eh. Hey, I’m only emulating Arsenal in doing community service here), Arsenal beat Chelshit at last! Well, the reserves side did. The Gunners, bar five, are in Porto now for the match tonight; go here for their training pictures. Oh, and apparently we tried to sign Louis Saha on the last day (tsk, tsk, never ever procrastinate again, Wenger) and our to-come Chamakh will be standing in local elections next month. Chamakh Obama? Yes, we can! (Sorry, can’t resist that. Thanks to Arseblog for that line and more).

Oh and it looks like ex-captain Terry-ble and wife had kissed and made up. Amazing. But wait, there’s more scandal involving Chelshit players. Ah... that cA$hley Cow of course.

I shall leave you now with a link to great Fab moments.