Monday, November 09, 2009

Definitely, Maybe

The weekend started bright (as if to make up for the evening showers of the past week) and overall was one hot scorching weekend but for the heavy rain on Saturday evening, which you’d expect anyway after such a heat-wave. It was so hot on Saturday that I felt close to melting and I was even reminded of my experience in Myanmar. And yet some states are under water.

I was supposed to go for a facial Saturday morning but because I forgot the voucher, I had to reschedule my appointment. I’m sorry to say I lost my temper a bit on Saturday morning on two occasions but I reminded myself to keep my cool and the day progressed better after that. Did a spot of shopping and later went to pick my clothes at the tailor’s – only to realise I left them on the bench where I waited for Abah to pick me up. Yes, ditsy is my middle name.

Met up with a distant cousin yesterday morning with Akak and the kids. It has been decades, yes, decades, since we last met.

Anyway. Arsenal travelled to the West Midlands Saturday evening (the kick-off would have to be at 1730 GMT) and I actually got up after a light nap – of which I kept having recurring dreams of football (you know you’re in too deep when you keep dreaming of football) – to watch the action. I was a bit nervous for I knew the Wolves had drawn in their last three matches, and they won over Fulham. And in the first 20 minutes, they did try their best to thwart us and Arsenal were also struggling a bit to settle in. I must say Diaby’s injury was actually a silver lining for he made way for Song; this released Ramsey to partner more freely with Cesc. Unfortunately the hosts shot themselves in the foot by gifting us two own goals (though I’m inclined to think that Dudú did score the second one; he was decent enough not to celebrate the first goal. Oh well, maybe it’s because Dudú’s not English). Captain Fabulous then added a third after a beautiful pass and set-up (he’s so classy, he immediately deflected the attention to van Persie), and Shava tested the keeper with a shot before rifling in a goal punched away by the keeper from the resultant corner. At the 87th minute I was thinking that maybe we’d keep a clean sheet after all but no, we had to concede a goal, didn’t we. For full report, go here.


I don’t think we played all that badly although this article seems to suggest that we didn’t play wonderfully either (even our opponent said we were better than Germany!). In any case, we’re on course to a century of goals (and we are doing much better than Man Sh*ty thus far. No way is Cesc going to join that club, ever). Cesc could have scored another brace following the mid-week heroics but hey, it looks like he’s only human after all. The skipper has said that it will only feel special if we do win something at the end of the season so as the gaffer remarked, let’s keep our humility and continue playing our game. After last night’s match between Chelsh*t and ManUre, maybe, just maybe, we’ll be able to win some silverware this season (the title, please, Captain Marvel?). OK, at the moment, it’s definitely a maybe; the gaffer hates November and rightly so after our bad results this time just last year but hopefully we’ll ride it out. I don’t want to compare but can’t help noticing that Liverpool look like they are doing a repeat of our poor start to last season this time around (on this note, I’d noticed it even in the pre-season when they lost friendly matches. Yes, of course they scored five against Singapore but anyone would win over Singapore).








And hopefully, when we do win something, the gaffer would do a repeat of this, like he did last weekend.



Totally unrelated I know, but today is the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall. I have been lucky to have been able to visit the city twice since that historic day and also other ex-Communist countries and cities.