Thursday, October 01, 2009

Love Life

More than a decade ago, Abah discovered he had high cholesterol. He used to and still does receive a lot of invitations to feasts (kenduri) and wedding reception that he somehow forgot to monitor what he ate. In a way, the discovery helped make him realise the importance of watching his diet – we all need to watch our diet especially as we grow old.

Since then, I have been conscious myself of what I consume. I am determined not to get high blood pressure and/or diabetes. I want to live a long, healthy life and while health is not free, being sick is even costlier (think of hospital bills and medications). I cut down on my sugar and sodium intake – so much so sometimes I feel faint (because of low sugar) and other times, I get leg cramps (because of low sodium).

It’s still a work-in-progress - I’m still trying to eat a balanced meal and live a healthy life. I still succumb to the evils of MSG-laden junk food but on the plus side, I’ve cut down on eating processed food and visiting fast food outlets. I also try to eat moderately – hey after all, too much of anything is never good. I don’t drink fizzy drinks, coffee and dubiously colourful drinks (because of the colourings). I’m now hooked to watching The Biggest Loser (ever since Ramadan where I broke fast in front of the TV watching the programme) but if you want to start living but not diet, check this out (disclaimer: I shall not be held responsible). I don’t really watch my weight because I’m blessed with a high metabolism but I still must watch what I eat because I believe our metabolism slows down as we grow older (on this note, I just went to weigh myself at the gym and must say I’m unimpressed with my stagnant weight. It’s like the month-long of fasting and then some has no effect whatsoever. It’s not as if I’m hoping to shed weight, it’s just that I feel that the weight reflected on the machine is not reflective of my fasting efforts).


No, this is not part of The Biggest Loser programme


I’m still too lazy to work out on my own and I don’t like to go the gym; I much prefer to go for morning or evening walks and I do walk a lot. I hope I can run one day though and be fit (even better if I can run for a good cause) and anyway, I just read that it’s not necessary to join a gym. Simple exercises do count too and you can even multi-task your exercise regime, for example by walking on the spot while waiting at the traffic light (some people spot jog), standing on one foot while brushing your teeth, parking far away so that you walk longer to your destination, taking the stairs where possible, in short multi-task your way to easy fitness. I have no patience for people who take the elevator one floor up or down, nor can I understand people who stand immobile on travellators (hello, escalators and travellators/walkalators are invented to help us get from one point to another in shorter time, not to make us lazy).


Good good-looking Gunners running for a good cause


I try to protect my eyes and skin from the sun’s harmful rays and wear sunglasses and use the brolly as much as possible (I still get amused when people comment on my use of brollies). There’s been a lot of news about people dying from cancer of late and I think I have enough experiences of that, thank you very much. I also believe in pampering and indulging myself occasionally with facial treatment and massage. I think I deserve it and it makes me feel good about myself and I believe I’m worth it. (Hello, my name is Adek Fàbregas and I love myself).

I believe we owe it to God and ourselves to live a healthy life.

~~~~~~~~

Speaking of life (but in a different context), it has been thirteen years today since Wenger joined Arsenal, becoming the club’s longest-serving manager. Charlie George asked us who visited the Emirates that one fine day in May 2008 who is the club’s best signing. The answer: Arsène Wenger (and when asked who he thought should be captain, without hesitation, Charlie replied, ‘Cesc.’). Wenger must really love life at Arsenal for he turned down the job at Real Madrid (go here for Wenger’s top ten signings at Arsenal and his best quotes).

And guess who else is loving life at Arsenal and happy in London. Why, Cesc, of course. Real Madrid and Barcelona, please take note. Oh sure, I know he would want to play for his childhood club again one day, but not yet. For now, he’s The Untouchable.


Hands off, he’s mine - and Arsenal’s!


~~~~~~~~

It’s hard life now for those affected by typhoon Ketsana in Manila, Vietnam and now Cambodia, tsunami in Samoa and recurring earthquakes in Sumatra. According to Andrea, the flood water reached the first floor (second floor if you speak American English) of her home in Manila and mid-way to the second floor. She and family are unhurt but have been busy cleaning the house since Sunday.

Take care everyone. God bless.