Thursday, November 27, 2008

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

In this post, Charlie means Charlie George (he who scored a spectacular 20-yard winner against Liverpool in the FA Cup final – securing Arsenal’s first ever double - and famously celebrated his goal by lying flat on his back with arms aloft. A life size replica is at the Arsenal Museum) and the ‘chocolate factory’ is the Emirates Stadium (where Charlie heads his own stadium tours).




I have mentioned before of my visit to the Emirates Stadium in May and of my stadium Legends Tour. The tour ended at the press room where Charlie entertained questions from those who joined the tour.

Someone asked who he thought should be captain and without hesitation he replied, ‘Cesc.’ ‘Isn’t he too young?’, came the next question. ‘No, he’s alright. Tony Adams was also 21 when he became captain.’


With Charlie George after the Q&A session


And Charlie George also asked (I can’t remember the order of the Q&A session now): ‘Who is the best person Arsenal has signed?’

I was racking my brain when someone answered, ‘Arsène Wenger.’

To which Charlie George replied, ‘That’s right. He’s the best person that Arsenal has signed.’


As I told a Scouser, I’d rather lose with Arsenal than win with ManUre, any time, any day. ABU!!!

By the way, Charlie told us that there is an order as to how jerseys are arranged in the changing room. I can’t quite recall the order unfortunately but I think the goalie’s jersey is placed closest to the door, followed by the captain, the midfielders and the defence (so now that Cesc is the skipper, his jersey may have changed bays). Don’t quote me on the order though as I was too focussed on getting my hands on Fàbregas’ jersey!

~~~~~~~~

Golly, as if the Bangkok protests which prompted
closure of their two airports are not enough, Mumbai has now been rocked by shootings.

And in the UK, Woolworths is now set to go under
administration.