Monday, December 01, 2008

Bend It Like Beckham

To the tune of bad boy Bobby Brown’s Every Little Step:


Couldn’t sleep well last night
I tossed and turned
Fretting about the match


It was the London derby match I’m referring to of course. I only realised the kick-off was at midnight local time and not at 11 pm (I’d be able to watch the first half at least) at 10 something and decided to head for bed instead.

But sleep wouldn’t come. I kept fretting and worrying. Arsenal’s luck has been like a yoyo of late while the host of the match was Chelshit, the Premier League's leading scorers with the best defence and a superb goalie too (how did they manage to score five against Sunderland and made it look so easy when all we could only manage a last-minute draw?). Arsenal, meanwhile, had gone 222 minutes without a Premier League goal. This match was the 150th Premier League appearance for Cesc and his first EPL match as skipper.

It has been 40 years since a team lost five of their first 14 top-flight matches and went on to win the title. But give up we shall not and should not.

As I missed the match but instead slept so poorly I might as well have watched it, I’ll let BBC tell us what happened (first I dreamt Arsenal won, then I dreamt again they won, and the third time I dreamt Chelshit won). And what do you know, van Persie scored a brace. I suppose the mightier the opponent, the better our prospects. Read more about it here, here, here and here.











No, van Persie didn’t bend like Beckham but he did bend over backwards in this match (which is more than what we can say for Adebayor who acted like a tourist taking in the London sights for the better part of the match). We’ve missed you, Robin! And please next time, don’t do anything stupid again and get yourself another red card, OK.









And Arsenal, while we know it’s the season to be charitable and generous, please do us all a favour and don’t give away a win again, OK?

~~~~~~~~

The Willow Foundation has teamed up with respected British artist, Julie-Anne Gilburt to hold the stars on canvas art exhibition. Bob Wilson, the former Arsenal goalie, and wife Megs founded the Willow Foundation in 1999 in memory of their daughter, Anna who died of cancer aged 31. The Willow Foundation provides special days for cancer patients aged between 16 and 40. Go here to find out more about the foundation and the drawings made by Cesc, Tony Adams, Bendtner, Denilson, Lee Dixon, Eduardo, Perry Groves, Pat Jennings, Frank McLintock, Sagna, David Seaman, Robin van Persie, Walcott, Wenger, Bob Wilson and even the London mayor himself.

And here’s the drawing done by Cesc.



~~~~~~~~

I’ve mentioned of large-scale deaths before and of late, there seems to be a repeat of those: Mumbai attacks, Brazilian flood, Nigerian riots... I also dreamt witnessing a tsunami a few nights ago. I wonder why.