Friday, August 07, 2009

This Much I Know

Inspired by the series in The Guardian.

070809: Adek Graffiti Fàbregas, part-time traveller (at least I like to think so!), 17 Again, KL

Being single is liberating - most of the time. And travelling solo is cool too.

It never fails to surprise me to hear people say how thin I am. I don't consider myself thin. Ever.

I believe in God and I talk to God often. I think of God a lot, even in inappropriate places (like the washroom). I find talking to God helps.

Everyone should play his/her role in making the world a better and greener place. We can all make a difference.

Healthy food usually tastes blurgh. It’s the unhealthy toxic food that tastes wonderful. Thankfully, I love fruits and vegetables. They taste great for something so healthy!

We are indeed stronger than we give ourselves credit for.

I can be naïve and too trusting. That said, I can be very sceptical too. Yes, I’m a contradiction.

It still amuses me when people ask me if I’m a Chinese (even after donning the headscarf). I have been asked if I’m a Chinese (even by Chinese folks), Japanese (!), Korean, Thai, Filipino and even Spanish (never Malaysian, a Brunei or Singaporean). Fantastic. Can I marry Cesc now?

I’m not a brave person. I’m a scaredy cat. Yet some of my mates have told me that they thought I’m brave. I even think people who commit suicide are brave - because I’d never be brave enough to hurt myself. But I’d like to try bungee jumping one day. Yup, contradiction is my middle name.

I’m a very emotional person. I cry easily. I’m a Cancerian so that should explain! It wouldn’t explain the OCD though.

Italian brands appeal more to me than the French or German (Aigner) or Swiss (Bally). And I don’t see the point of spending on a brand with an American name but made in China (Coach). At least LeSportsac and Crocs are still reasonably priced.

Everything happens for a reason and we’re where we are meant to be at any time. Still, it doesn’t mean some things are any easier to accept/handle.

It’s scary that I don’t consider some swear words are offensive anymore - probably because I hear it too often and I have become too accustomed to them. I do draw the line at vulgar words describing female anatomies.

There are a lot of sad, depressing things happening around the world everyday. Tragedy, suicide, bombing, massacre, murder... they go on. Even the sports world is not excluded. You can go without watching news for a while and when you tune in again, it’s the same old grim news reappearing albeit in different countries, different scenarios, different context.

The first section that I read from the daily is the sports section, and business sometimes. Funny, when I hardly ever played sports in school and can’t even run to save my life. Sure I can finish 100 metres but maybe in double or triple the time Usain Bolt finishes it.

Life’s lessons are abundant and around us if we only choose to observe. Nature has a lot to teach us. As does football (will likely blog on this later).

I am one of the few who think the Beckhams are cool. I like Posh, I mean Victoria Beckham. I think she’s done a good job at promoting Brand Beckham. I used to debate whether I am a Baby Spice (because I’m the baby of the family) or a Posh Spice.

A friend posted this challenge by a wise man she heard on IKIM Radio recently: ‘We’re always upgrading, be it from Nokia to iPhone, apartment to landed property, Executive to Manager, Vincci shoes to Tod’s, yet, why, for the past 15 years or so, are we still on a five-time prayers a day without the sunats, reciting the same short four Quls after al-Fatihah, using the same battered prayer mat and prayer attire, reading the Holy Quran at the same old speed, and paying the minimum zakat possible.’ I agree with the reasoning of the wise man.

I tell myself not to expect anything because I’d get disappointed when I don’t get anything – and yet I still find myself expecting something and getting disappointed when I get nothing.

Be true to yourself, be yourself, live life to the fullest, take good care of your body and your health, hold your head up high, and be proud of who you are and where you are from. To others, we may seem exotic too.