Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hear, Hear

My left ear is currently blocked - has been so since Sunday actually. The doctor gave me some ear drop yesterday and told me that if I still don’t regain hearing in that ear, she’d flush it out on Friday (I actually wanted her to just flush it out but she wanted me to try out the ear drop first). So I’m half-deaf now (either the ear drop is taking its time to work or is just not going to work) but would suddenly regain hearing at times (for a very short while) and when this happens, I’d get so startled with the sudden increase in noise volume that I will actually give a start.

The last time this happened (and the first time I had a blocked ear) was two Ramadans ago. It was so bad that I could hear only very faintly (if I recall correctly, both ears were blocked although one ear was not as badly blocked as the other). I almost lost my balance because as we know, our sense of equilibrium is controlled through the vestibular system contained in the inner ear. The good news was that the doctor flushed out my ears and restored my hearing; the bad news was that my fast for that day did not count.

So I am determined to solve this problem before Ramadan starts.

~~~~~~~~

Headed for BB after work yesterday to hunt for cargo trousers. AudMraz told me to check out Giordano so I decided to follow her advice. Boarded the bus and was happily reading but before long I realised we were stuck in a very bad jam: turned out the Rat Race was yesterday. So I got down near Bursa and walked to BB. There’s a Giordano Concept store at Pavilion and two Giordano stores in BBP (or is it Sg Wang Plaza – I kept confusing the two). And of course there’s the store at Jalan Sultan Ismail - which I pass by every time I go to BB but only just realised is there - plus one in Times Square.

~~~~~~~~

God, how I hate people who can’t write/spell in proper English or Malay. I can take colloquial conversation but I hate reading anything that’s spelt weirdly. How difficult is it to type out properly? I’ve mentioned it before and I’m repeating myself here again. I get really annoyed when I see funny languages on people’s FB status/comments and/or blog comments. Really, is there a need to bastardise the language(s)? Aren’t people even proud of their mother tongue that they don’t care about spelling it correctly? Why go all the way to make yourself sound so uneducated?

~~~~~~~~

There’s this one lady who I usually meet while waiting for the bus. She seemed friendly at first (too friendly at times) but as we exchange more chats, I find that she complains a lot. She usually starts with how bad the bus service is (trust me, it is bad and hardly reliable) and she goes on and on, touching other issues such as politics as she rambles on. Sometimes I pointedly ignore her and read my novel and then I feel bad for ignoring her. But really, I can’t stand her complaints. Miss Debbie Downer is one toxic personality I want to avoid.