Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Boys Against The Bhoys

Arsenal hosted Celtic, kitted in their black and garish yellow (think bumblebee) kit, in the second leg last night. I only watched the second half and as I missed Dudú’s controversial penalty, I don’t want to comment too much on it except that I hope we won’t have to do a Cristina to win a match in future. Wenger, famous for his selective myopia, is more tactful on that.

Anyway, we won thanks to the controversial penalty earned and converted by Dudú, and goals from Eboue (who would have guessed that they’d be cheering for him now) and the substitute Shava who scored a minute after he joined the game. His first goal for the season (and I believe in the Champions League too. I stand corrected). We played the last five minutes with ten men as Aaron Ramsey nursed the challenge by Scott Brown.

However, the visitors also scored a consolation goal and to be honest, it was some last kick of a game, a hollow consolation though it was.


Four of the seven substitutes




On another note, how I wish I was at the Emirates last Saturday. Then at least I’d get a free Arsenal scarf. The club has finally begun the Arsenalisation of the Emirates with Wenger behind it.

~~~~~~~~

I am glad to note that even footballers observe Ramadan, well, practising ones do. I for one don’t believe that fasting gives any excuse for anyone to not perform as before, though I understand if a boss wants to substitute his staff for reasons he sees fit.