Friday, June 12, 2009

If You Don’t Know Me By Now

They say life is a journey and like all journey, you cannot and should not expect a smooth ride. There are speed-bumps that slow you down; crossroads that force you to pause and choose between them; potholes and whatnots to test your patience; and crazy/drunk/inconsiderate road users/road bullies whose reckless driving and bullying will put your life at risk.

Now, it would be very tempting indeed to give you the impression that every step I take in my life journey is a wonderful and smooth adventure; alas, that would be very irresponsible and make me a liar because my life is far from perfect and by extension I’m not perfect (well, no one is anyway). But I am lucky and blessed indeed to have true friends who stick by me; who help pick me up when I’m down; who help get me back on track if I stray off it; who accept me for who, what and how I am, flaws, tempers, emo yoyo and all; who will not hesitate for a minute to tell me off if I ever change for the worse; and who no doubt will tell me that I should just ignore what people say about me.

So trust me when I say that they will tell it to my face in all honesty if they ever think I’ve adopted an overbearing, arrogant, snobbish or pompous attitude (they will not let me get away with this attitude) – and I would expect them to do so too, no questions asked. Hence, it took me somewhat by surprise when a total stranger, a visitor to this blog, actually said I’m pompous when the opinion is formed solely from reading my rant in this blog. I’m hoping for more constructive feedback and views to the few deep issues that I raise and the fears that I share here besides my life’s petty issues. Granted I write about them petty things but at least allow me that indulgence and not judge me by them.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not a demure lass and I’m not proud to say that I swear a lot, have a short fuse and am very emotional. So yes I can be a disagreeable person indeed if I’m rubbed the wrong way but surely no way does that make me a pompous person capable of writing pompous blog entries.

I’m sorry if I have somehow given the perception that I’m an arrogant person through my writing – if so, this is an area I need to improve and work on – but I can’t help what people think of me and hey, If You Don’t Know Me By Now, well I guess you will never, never, never know me.

To be honest, I have been very (and unusually) tolerant and patient of the comments made against me (and my team and my captain) by this reader but I think enough is enough is enough already. Besides is not leaving irritating and annoying comments akin to spitting in this blog - the very offence the reader takes delight in accusing Cesc of (when he’s already free and clear of the charges by the FA and UEFA)?

To new readers and relatively new readers, this blog will be done My Way as I’ve made clear earlier (http://adekgraffiti.blogspot.com/2008/10/my-way.html). Yes, I have strong opinions about certain things but as my mate pointed out, I am entitled to it. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me all the time because c’mon, we all see and view things differently anyway.

So to repeat what I’ve said earlier (and at the risk of sounding pompous), if you’re looking for an emotionless, soulless, unoffensive, politically correct, sanitised blog, then this blog will disappoint you. And if you think what I blog about falls short of your reading expectations, you are not compelled to linger on. You can politely and quietly leave as you have come, and please make sure to trip, tear your host off a strip, let rip against your host, or spit on your way out.

~~~~~~~

Proof that life is not smooth even if you’re a promising footballer and Captain of a Big Four club (and youngest Captain of the Premier League): my poor Cesc suffered a head injury in the Azerbaijan-Spain friendly match on 9 June 2009.

My Braveheart has said it’s not serious though. Ahh, that’s my hero.







Arriving in South Africa