Monday, April 20, 2009

High School Reunion

The idea for the reunion was mooted a few months ago but as with many ideas, it soon fizzled out after early-January this year. That was until Hanim asked me if it was OK for her to take charge. I was only too happy to let someone be in control and agreed (little did I know she had other plans for me). So Hanim kick-started the whole process, reignited the idea, secured the booking of the reunion venue (a seven-room bungalow in Port Dickson) by advancing the deposit, and pursued and persuaded us to come. Zara was instrumental in scouting for the venue, shopping for the door-gift (after consulting Hanim and myself. I suggested a bath towel for everyone), negotiating with the caterers to ensure we would not starve during the weekend and organising the telematch on Saturday evening, while yours truly was tasked to be the treasurer (and believe me, I had my fair share of headaches trying to reconcile my accounts).

I initially wanted to leave after work on Friday but as the day drew nearer found I couldn’t extricate myself from work as early as I would have liked (gosh, how work is raining on me, it’s not even funny anymore). So I made arrangements to go with Lin but on Thursday evening, she called to say she would likely have to work throughout the weekend. So I quickly sent a text to Debbie asking if I could follow her instead and called Zara asking if she could collect the prizes for the games so that if in the worst case scenario I had to somehow go to Port Dickson on my own by bus, at least I wouldn’t be saddled down with the prizes. Thankfully Debbie replied to say that there’s a vacant spot in Misah’s car for me. Phew!

We met up Saturday morning at Bandar Tasik Selatan LRT station and made our way to PD. We were talking and laughing so much that we almost missed the turning to the highway (and everyone in the car screamed in unison). It was a good thing there was no vehicle behind us and light traffic all along the way to PD, well at least until we neared the road construction near our venue.

We did what we do best after meeting a group of us – chatting, laughing, screaming and munching (in no particular order!). After all, it was the time where we all broke away from our multiple roles as an employee, a boss, a daughter, a mother (well, except for MZ and Nani Y), a wife, a sister, an aunt and just be ourselves, even if it was only for a few hours, even if it was only for a day (for those who didn’t stay the night). Noor Z had to leave early as her parents were on their way from Perlis so I didn’t get to meet her. And N.Burn and Haida were running late so our group photo didn’t have them there.

After lunch, resting and performing prayers, we had some indoor games before hitting the beach for our telematch. I must say I was very happy with my lovely friends – they all participated in the games sportingly. I love you gals! I must mention that it was a very hot, humid weekend with hardly any breeze (even at the beach).

After evening prayers, we had BBQ dinner before a ‘Guessing Game’ and slideshow presentation. Then some of us turned off the lights and watched Mamma Mia (back in school, we had this weekly ‘Film Show’ on Saturday evenings, something I looked forward to every week, never mind that sometimes they screened pretty lousy movies). I managed to drag N.Burn to the stall next door to watch the FA semi-final between Arsenal and Chelshit. I’m not going to say much about it except I wonder why Wenger didn’t start Shava or Nasri. Diaby was awful, Fabianski made some mistakes and the team looked a bit nervous. I was just so gutted and sulked all the way back to the bungalow. Heck, it was one of our two chances at silverware this season and it’s not as if the Champions League is that easy to win.

It drizzled early Sunday morning so no walk along the beach. After clearing up the place (back at school, we had housecleaning chore every Sunday morning), we chatted, took more pictures and packed (again, in no particular order). We finally and reluctantly left but not before agreeing to visit our college grounds (I still call my school ‘college’).

We met Rezeq at college (she actually came to the venue but we had all left then). We walked around a bit – I visited my old dormitory block my old classroom before joining the others at the Hall. We left after an hour or so as it was threatening to rain (in fact it did and we were caught in the downpour on the highway).

Zara dropped me off at 2.45 pm or thereabout. I was just so knackered that I fell asleep on the couch through the Chinese Grand Prix (the plan was to rest while watching F1) and only woke up way after the race had ended.

There were already talks about the next reunion but for now, I still need to recover from this one! I am that knackered...