Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday, Monday

Enough already with all the violence in Gaza I say (and so does almost everyone except for the instigating country). I feel almost helpless at times and wish I can do something. The last time I felt this way was before the US declared war on Iraq and then I felt like signing up on a relief mission or even fighting – never mind I never have any military training, abhor violence and am simply afraid of pain.

Here are
five top lies about Israel’s assault on Gaza.

What can we do besides donating money, offering prayers and demonstrating ourselves? Well, as well-informed consumers with conscience, we can all do our part by
boycotting those companies which support Israel policies. Muslim scholars have issued fatwas on boycotting of brands associated with Israel. C’mon people, I’m sure you can all survive without the unhealthy processed meat of Prosperity Burgers, carbonated and heavily sugared Coke, and premium Star*ucks coffee?

Let’s do our share and play our part so that on the Day of Judgement we could all go before Allah with a clear conscience, because on the Day of Judgement, God would ask us what we did when our fellow brethrens are killed and butchered senselessly and brutally, and we would want to be able to answer that we have done everything we can within our ability.

~~~~~~~~

In addition to the violence in Gaza, there are also other large-scale deaths around the world, namely the
capsized ferry in Indonesia, the Peru bus crash and the Costa Rica quake. Are these all just coincidences, I wonder?

~~~~~~~~

For every Gunner who worked hard and tirelessly on Saturday, unfortunately there was also a Gunner who didn’t work or try as hard. Nasri, van Persie, Clichy, Sagna and Toure worked hard and relentlessly on Saturday but Adebayor acted like a tourist in London and Eboue back to his old self of running around like a headless chicken prone to falls.

Both the Gunners and Gooners had to wait 84 minutes before a goal was
converted by Bendtner (himself a subject of much criticism of late), thanks to a pass from van Persie who received the kick from Clichy and Nasri before that. I shot off the couch and shouted, ‘Yes!’ a few seconds later – just to be sure the ball was in the net and not hit the side. And yes, one-nil to the Arsenal again but it guaranteed three points and I won’t complain. Better that than a frosty frustration. And everyone let out a colective sigh of relief. Phew...




It had been
freezing cold in the UK the past few days; in fact two matches were postponed due to frost. Thankfully there is undersoil heating at the Emirates but I can just imagine how cold it was for the fans in attendance. Brrr...!

Bloody Villa are now at fourth, three points ahead of us while ManUre buried visiting Chelshit, no doubt stoked after that humbling defeat to Derby in mid-week. In other
off-field developments, Rafa Benitez simply could not stop talking about Froggie and shortly after his side’s match against Chelshit, old Froggie hit back. No surprises there. What was somewhat surprising was Wenger’s ‘support’ of Froggie of match fixtures earlier in the week.

Jermain Defoe is back at the Spuds. So much for loyalty in football eh.

~~~~~~~~

On Saturday night, I dreamt I was in the Big Apple, specifically shopping at
Woodbury Common. I was in Tod’s (how much more specific and vivid could a dream get? Tod’s store at Woodbury Common only sells shoes though). I remember waking up thinking that while it would be nice to visit New York again, I don’t see that happening anytime soon even though I may not have to worry about accommodation if my good mate is posted there. Plus I can’t stand the ensuing jetlag.

Anyway, I have managed to ask a mate currently in the UK to help me buy some merchandise online. I also browsed Harrods (boring!) and NEXT sale catalogues online. I must say I was very surprised to find that a lot of the NEXT apparels on sale online are maternity wear and commented to my friend that either there are many pregnant ladies in the UK right now (hence the wide range to cater to them) or not enough of them (hence the many things left yet unsold).