Friday, September 05, 2008

Pay It Forward

... by way of CSR.

TheOrganisation has embraced CSR finally and everyone was invited to participate in any of the causes like children, disaster relief, poor/underprivileged communities, youth, women, animal welfare, health/disabled community and senior citizens. I signed up for animal welfare because I don’t think I can work with people. I know I will cry or will have to try very hard to hold back my tears if I see people less fortunate (I’m the girl who cries watching Disney movies and Petronas festive adverts, OK!). My expression will definitely give me away. So, no, I can’t work with people. I will probably cry too at the sight of the animals but at least they can’t talk back at me and tell me how difficult their lives have been.

I learnt about CSR during my post-graduate days and even did my dissertation on the topic. I wish the MBA I took had been an MBA in CSR but it was then still a new subject at the business school. And yes, there were people (my coursemates) who scoffed at the idea because businesses exist for the sole purpose of making money, right? Wrong. I say that we all have something to give back to society and I was so happy that the course was taught.

I wish there’s something on the environment too (strangely enough, it doesn’t appear on the list of causes TheOrganisation is supporting although there is a Global Warming Volunteer Group) because I’d like to join that too.

After all, this is something I can give back to the society. And it can help open my eyes to all the examples in life (as it did for Fàbregas. Even Wenger was moved – you need to sift through this article though).

I’m glad that Arsenal embraces CSR, with the Teenage Cancer Trust as its nominated charity for this football season (it teamed up with autism charity TreeHouse last season). For more pictures, go here.



Be A Gooner. Be A Giver.’

Just another community service brought to you by a Gunner and a Gooner (that’s Cesc and Adek of course!).