Monday, August 18, 2008

Red-Hot

I headed back to my parents on Saturday morning and had almost reached the bus stop when I realised that I’d forgotten my red toiletry bag. Duh! Had to retrace my steps and before long, I was drenched in perspiration (it didn’t help when you had a backpack) – it was so humid and hot. Cursed myself for being forgetful.

Stopped by at KLCC and then at Ampang Point for my dental visit. The process took shorter than the waiting time. I like to think that my pearly whites are in good condition – no filling required and no tartar build-up sighted – now if only they are whiter. The Payless Books at Ampang Point was having a sale and I ended up buying six books to add to my burgeoning collection.

Abah came to pick me up and dropped me off at the barber for my long overdue haircut. Dark clouds were already gathering overhead and the first and only thought that entered my mind was, ‘Oh God, if it rains, please let is top before 7 pm so that I could watch football tonight.’ Heh. If you think that was a weird request, wait ‘til you hear of my other numerous requests to God.

The 2008/2009 Premier League season finally kicked off Saturday evening with Arsenal hosting newly promoted West Bromwich Albion. Samir Nasri made an impressive debut by scoring his first Premier League goal for Arsenal and the first goal of the season too. Alas, the Gunners didn’t score any more after that early goal and I was getting increasingly frustrated. They were doing what they do best all right – playing beautiful football ... and making a lot of passes. Passed, passed, passed, passed, passed, passed ... but failed to score. They had plenty of possession but lacked penetration. I started getting red-hot and shouted at Arsenal (oh, I’m sure they could hear me thousands of miles away), so loudly that when my parents came back from the madrasah, they were surprised to hear the racket coming from inside the house only to find their red-blooded youngest child slumped in front of the tube. Abah remarked with a smile, ‘I was wondering what was going on in the house. It sounded like there was a quarrel going on.’ Mummy added, ‘Oh yes, she was arguing with the TV.’ Yes, I inherit my dad’s passion for football. And I can never watch footie quietly.

Went to the factory outlet Queen’s Park on Sunday but it was a disappointing visit. Watched the men’s badminton final along with millions of other Malaysians and was disappointed too.

Turned out I didn’t just forget my red toiletry bag (which I remembered to return back for) but also my scarf for today so had to hunt for a scarf, any scarf, at my parents’ to wear to work today. And because I could find only one floral red scarf that I could wear to work, (which doesn’t go with the skirt I initially planned to wear), I had to search for a suitable skirt or trousers ... now, if only I had not been so ditsy eh!

And the only available skirt in the wardrobe was the almost-forgotten Tangs chilli red skirt. Of course it goes along with my new pepper red LeSportsac hobo.

If anyone decides to comment, I’ll say that red is the auspicious colour for the Chinese and I’m wearing red today in view of the on-going Olympic Games and the coming mid-Autumn festival ...

Or that I’m on red alert.

Either way, the colour of my dressing is not worth a red cent (but y’know, some people just like to comment on my dressing).






~~~~~~~~

I also watched the Everton-Blackburn match. Paul Ince’s (who made his Premier League managerial debut) Blackburn was brilliant and quite dominant especially in the first half. It was an exciting match though Everton took a while to find their tempo falling back before equalising just before the half time. Then they doubled their lead but they forgot the old saying: you are always at your most vulnerable shortly after you score. And they were punished by dishy Roque Santa Cruz before losing the match in the 90th minute. I wonder if David Bentley and Mark Hughes have started to regret their decision to leave Blackburn already (and whatever was the former thinking by moving to Spurs when most of Spurs actually dispersed?! Silly guy). Liverpool’s Nando struck a late win to defeat Sunderland by a scoreline similar to Arsenal.

Elsewhere, newly promoted Hull City made an impressive debut to come back from behind and beat foolish Fulham. Fulham are never good at defending their lead and it seemed they have not yet learnt the lessons of the past season. And on Super Sunday, Chelshit beat Pompey impressively, Villains beat Man Shitty and ManUre held to a draw. Hahaha!

~~~~~~~~

Am just back from a lecture. It was quite interesting for an economics-related lecture. But what caught my attention (besides the presence of Eric) was the cat which appeared on stage twice; it then ran the length of the auditorium before returning to the stage and slipping away. Who let the cat out, eh!