Monday, June 30, 2008

Show And Tell

I watched The Nanny Diaries on Saturday morning - Chris Evans was very cute in there and Scarlett, ahh Scarlett, was beautiful as always. Had a quick lunch after prayers before meeting up with my friends to watch Beauty and The Beast Broadway Musical at the KLCC Convention Centre. We were made to wait a blinking 67 minutes before the show started, no thanks to a technical glitch. But the wait was thankfully worth it and I enjoyed the show, the music, singing and dancing, the costumes, backdrop and props, the lighting and sound effect. It was all very enjoyable and would have scored a perfect ten had it not been for the terribly long wait.

And it still would have been a perfect day had I not find myself getting increasingly annoyed, irritated and pissed off with a friend with her comments: about me still working at TheOrganisation; her numerous remarks about the outdoor parking when I had already politely told her that Lin had parked there before; her insistent manners which bordered on her being bossy and domineering; her know-it-all attitude about the convention centre and Broadway shows; and for making me walk all the way to KLCC only to have to double back to Mandarin Oriental to perform my prayers when I could have had just taken a direct route there all by myself.

For the record, there is nothing wrong with working where I am and for that matter, where anyone is working. And there is nothing wrong for having stayed at any workplace for any length of time. Besides, a colleague of this particular friend even resigned from their workplace and joined TheOrganisation. I also didn’t care about the outdoor parking especially when I don’t even drive. And I had organised an event at the convention centre only seven months earlier and pretty much know my way around – enough to know that we could have taken another elevator instead of the one we took which resulted in us having to walk through the car-park.

I don’t know why I felt so irritated with her or why I found her remarks that day especially annoying. Oh, I had on previous occasions listened to her criticise about singers that I liked (like Mariah Carey) and I just shut up. But I did feel annoyed with her bossiness and insistent behaviour that Saturday. Typical of elder sisters but Lin never behaved that way towards me (even though I know she behaves like that to her younger sisters).

Thank God for another mutual friend who brought her son along or I would have felt even more suffocated.

~~~~~~~~

Like I said, I really love Beauty And The Beast. I went to watch it at the cinema four times, I have the original movie soundtrack, and I even went to the Beauty And The Beast Disney on Ice show a few years ago with my niece. And I found myself singing to the songs on Saturday and yes, even sniffing and blinking away tears at the sad parts.

I especially like it when Belle sings the following:


I want much more than this provincial life
I want adventure in the great wide somewhere
I want it more than I can tell
And for once it might be grand
To have someone understand
I want so much more than they’ve got planned


Somehow it struck a chord deep within me when I first heard it all those years ago and I could so relate to Belle, to her wanting to get away from her provincial life where people thought her odd, to her desire for adventures somewhere. And I promised myself that I would do whatever it takes to get out into the world, to have adventures myself, to gain experience and learn of other cultures. And while Ampang is hardly provincial (six km away from KLCC!) sometimes I do think I don’t quite fit in, that I will always stick out by what I say, do, wear and think.

Hmm, one thing though: don’t you think Belle may have suffered from the Stockholm Syndrome?

~~~~~~~~

I woke up at 3.45 am this morning to catch the final match of Euro2008 between Germany and Spain. Alas, the coverage was not good and I found myself staring at blurry figures alternating with blank TV screen. Hence, I will not comment on it as I would not do justice to it. Anyway, as we know, Spain is the new European champions: yes, their first major trophy after waiting 44 long years.

*Sigh* It will be another month and half until the Premier League kicks off.