Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Girl, Interrupted

I was having a discussion with a colleague when we were interrupted by someone who asked my colleague to do up a worksheet for her. I stopped in mid-sentence and stared and after a while, cleared my throat and said, ‘Excuse me, I’m discussing something with him.’ She reacted like she barely heard me and I felt almost compelled to repeat myself and would have done so if I wasn’t so ‘amazed’ with her lack of ability to acknowledge that she had interrupted our discussion, her absence of apologies for having butted in, her lack of guilt and her very temerity. And heck, we were nearing the end of our discussion and even if we were still in the midst of it, couldn’t she at least have the decency to ask nicely if she could have a word with him and not butt in like that? Plus it wasn’t as if we were discussing something non-work related – and even then, surely any intelligent person would have the decency to wait until the discussion was over. And by golly, why did I even have to point out to her that we were having a discussion? Surely anyone could see that, especially if she is dependent on visual aid.

We finished our discussion and I went back to my place seething over her rudeness. To me, she was just being plain rude and lacking respect for others. How would she like it if someone interrupted her discussion with another without so much as acknowledging the discussion that was taking place?

What a bloody rude idiot. And to think I got along well with her not too long ago.