Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Red Entry

Red Alert

Err, not really. Just that I somehow left work on Friday without my mobile phone [duh!] so had to go pick it up on Saturday. And since I was already in the office, I did some work. But don’t worry; am never about to turn into a workaholic anytime soon.

~~~~~~~~

Little Red Riding Hood

OK, it was actually (not so) little me in red t-shirt striding around the neighbourhood on Sunday Morning. The t-shirt that made up part of my sports attire had been hanging untouched since my last walk, quite some weeks back. As Ramadan is but four weeks away, I decided I should put my sports attire to good use before laundering it [and wearing it again well after Syawal!]. And so I huffed and I puffed [and burnt those calories down] up and down the hilly neighbourhood.

~~~~~~~~

Redcurrants vs Fool ‘Em

No, Arsenal no longer don their redcurrant jerseys and instead were kitted out in their usual red tops in their Sunday match against Fulham. Dithered whether I should watch them play – watching Arsenal play puts me at risk of getting premature cardiac arrest as I always get so stressed watching the Gunners in action – and finally watched the last 35 minutes or so of the game. In disbelief. For Fool ‘Em was leading by a goal [which I soon discovered was due to Lehmann’s stupidity - he can join Fool ‘Em for that error].

Before long I had fallen into my footie mood and was hurling verbal abuses at the TV screen, willing the red-blooded Gunners thousands of miles away to hear my shouts of ‘Idiot!’, Stoooopid!’, ‘Bloody fool!’ and ‘Slowcoach!’ at the sight of the lovely young Guns firing blanks. Yes, I was in red heat and getting red-hot alright.

Thank God Arsenal was awarded a penalty which a redbreast converted beautifully into a goal. And Hleb added another one with literally seconds left to go in full time. For full report of the game, have a dekko at this.

~~~~~~~~

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

I bought some red chillies earlier [I didn’t realise how hot they are] and added one to my Monday evening dish. Before cooking, I got rid of the fiery seeds, taking extra care not to handle the seeds with my right fingers. Alas, it was inevitable. And shortly after, I felt the sting in my eyes when I took off my contact lens with my right fingers [despite me washing my hands thoroughly].

That wasn’t all. When I tried to put on my contact lens on Tuesday morning, the fiery hot sensation, or pain more like, was still there somehow on my contact lens [or was it on my fingers?] and my eyes were smarting like hell. Thoughts of taking emergency leave ran through my head. See, I’m so vain and I don’t want to show up at work in my glasses! And my spare ones are a half-pair of grey and a half-pair of brown lens [yes, I’m vain and I had experimented with some coloured lens. Oh, I did traipse over Europe in May 2006 looking like an odd-eyed cat with my different coloured contact lens after one half tore itself, but I’m not about to show up at work looking like that].

I eventually put on a new pair of contact lens and went to work.

~~~~~~~~

Seeing Red

I am disturbed and troubled by the news that a family perished in a pre-dawn fire last week. The fire was caused by candles which the family relied on as TNB had cut the electricity supply to the house; the parents had to delay paying the electricity bills as they were trying to put their four children through university.

We will be celebrating the country’s 50th year of independence in a couple of weeks’ time and yet there still exists pockets of society deprived of basic amenities/facilities because they couldn’t afford them.

And what about the runaway bus earlier this week? Why do we still have people providing services irresponsibly and sloppily? Why can’t we have good public transportation system just like in most Western countries or even Singapore such that people are confident and assured of their safety when using it and also not be ashamed to be using it?

P/S: I don’t see anything wrong in using public transportation, well, I am a major user anyway. But why do people always give me funny looks when I tell them I use public transportation? It is the norm anyway in developed countries to use public transportation. People go to work in their smart suits riding the bus and train. Guess we still have a long way to go, even after 50 years of independence, to change public perception.

~~~~~~~~

Join Red

No, I’m not advertising this especially as I’m not getting any red cent out of it but if you want to find out more, have a dekko at this and this.