Friday, June 01, 2007

Gemini Babies

I was watering the lawn yesterday evening when I saw something in the drain at my porch. I saw a glimpse of a body and was groaning inwardly at the thought of having to remove a dead body - rodent or whatever. And it looked pretty big too. Then suddenly it moved and I almost screamed. Turned out there was a cat in there... one of the stray cats that rules the neighbourhood. I asked, ‘What are you doing there?’, peered into the drain and continued, ‘Oh my God, you gave birth in there!’, yes, in those exact words. As if it understood a word I said.


There were at least 2 kittens – how apt considering it is now Gemini! - though I didn’t get a closer look as I didn't want to scare them off. *Groan* Wonder if I now have to start taking care of them. I’m too lazy and don’t want to care for them ‘cause my previous favourite cats all died on me. While I Don’t Have The Heart not to feed the mother especially now that I know she’s just delivered, doing so may just make them stay and I’m not sure if I want that... ‘cause the next thing I know the cat family will take over and rule my residence. Arghhhh.....!!!!!! OK, that’s me being a drama queen again. But what should I do?! I managed to get an A4 box from the office this morning and will take it home later but now wonder if it is a tad too small for them.

~~~~~~~~

When I was schooling, we had cats staying in the house; well, normally only one cat was allowed this privilege at any one time but there were some occasions when there was a mother cat with her kittens indoors. [Nowadays we no longer have cats indoors; stray cats still come to visit though and don’t look like they’ll ever leave - ‘cause they get fed]. There were occasions when I’d argue with Akak on who got to sleep with our favourite cat. Yes, me and kitty shared a bed together and my furry bedmate would be curled up by my side or at my feet.

My first favourite cat died when I was in Standard Six. She had been unwell for a while but we didn’t suspect that she was dying. Until one day, when I got back from school and Mummy told me red-eyed that Tom had died. I cried and cried. I cried all the way to my Quran recital class and all the way through the class. I cried the rest of the day. Then Akak called home from boarding school and we told her and we all ended up crying again.

My second favourite cat, Monte, lived a long life, so much so I took for granted that he would be there always. He was a dumb but handsome cat, like how some girls/guys are gifted with looks/brawn but not with brains. I left for England for my first degree without saying goodbye to him ‘cause I figured he’d be around when I came back for summer. Like I said, I took it for granted that he’d always be there, that God will not take him away just yet, that we’d be reunited nine months later.

It was not to be and in February, just four months before I was due to come home for summer hols, Akak informed that Monte had died. I cried myself to sleep, regretting not having said goodbye properly to him before I left. I cried again the following weekend and ended up walking around campus the following days with puffy eyes.

After that I just vowed not to let a cat be close to me again. Because they left me and died and gone to heaven leaving me here. So now I make do with a stuffed big, fat orange cat by the name of Garfield and my other teddy bears.

Now do you see or understand why I don’t want to take care of any cat anymore?

~~~~~~~~

I sent text messages to my friends to ask whether I should feed the mother cat, henceforth to be referred to as MamaCat. One said I should feed MamaCat milk; another suggested I buy chicken bones for it. I don’t quite agree with feeding cats bones of whatever origin – chicken or fish. Mummy always wonders out aloud why people would feed bones to their pets when they themselves eat the good meaty, fleshy parts and over the years, this has naturally been drummed into me. At the same time, I’m reluctant to buy cat food as MamaCat may not eat it [some cats can be sooo fussy, just like humans!] and if she does, she may view it as an unspoken invitation to stay on. But surely as a stray cat, she’s used to hunting for her own food and I should let her just continue as before? Besides, feeding her may just mess with her diet. But like I said, I Don’t Have The Heart [sing it like James Ingram] to let MamaCat starve while feeding her kittens. There are some male cats around the neighbourhood [but of course, for how else could MamaCat get pregnant in the first place!] and I hope they won’t come near and eat the kittens up [some male cats do eat their young].

Dang it, I’m getting all worried and worked up over some stray cat who decides to deliver her kittens at micasa.

~~~~~~~~

It’s Abah’s birthday this Sunday. I haven’t bought him anything. Any suggestions? It must be something good, practical, looks expensive but doesn’t cost a bomb.

I can’t think of anything at the moment. Why do I always find it so difficult to buy presents for Abah? I’ve bought him shirts and long-sleeved tees, fragrances, Bally wallet and even a watch once. Most are stored away for wear at a much later time – so much so sometimes I’d all but forgotten about them. And as for fragrances, he much prefers his attar oil. Can you just believe that?!

If you have any good idea, please let me know before end of the day by putting your suggestions on the graffiti board. Because sometimes even a shopaholic doesn’t have a clue on gifts to buy for her dad.

Cheers.