Monday, March 19, 2007

The Last Leg Home

Am now back at Tao Yuan International Airport after an endless flight across the Pacific. And because we flew east [or was it west? Or maybe flying west to east, if that makes sense], we lost a day and suddenly it’s already Monday. It’s a short transit here and so this will be a quickie.

Managed to catch only a few moments of precious sleep during the flight. There was this chap who was content to chat to his next-seat neighbour in very loud voices. It was amazing how he managed to talk non-stop for hours. Maybe he just loved to hear himself talk because we hardly heard the other guy’s response.

Just some addendum on my trip:

The student hall we stayed at was very near Dupont Circle. And oh, adjacent to the Iraqi embassy too. We were told the Secret Service occasionally park outside the embassy to watch the place. Didn’t sight them though.

The hotel we stayed at was a charming place, located at Pennsylvania Avenue. No breakfast was provided but there is a Pakistani eatery a block away which sells halal food and that was where we obtained our supply of dinners [and because the portion was big, the leftover was saved for breakfast the following morning].

The conference we attended was unlike any previous conferences we’ve attended before. It was more of a tabling of researchs and studies done, and discussions on the researchs. I was in constant awe of the many genius minds in that room.

The weather was something else. First it was an unusually mild spring weather so much so I could literally walk without my jacket. Then it turned so bloody cold and there I was Blowing Kisses In The Wind.

We didn’t manage to go to any factory outlet but we did manage to locate Filene’s Basement
and that was enough for me. I managed to get some bags for Mummy and Akak.

And now, I have to go. I can literally feel someone breathing down my neck impatiently, waiting for his turn to use this terminal. Can’t wait to go home. Darn, that’s another 4.5 hours of flight to be endured. I just miss home so very much. So, so, so very homesick. I miss Mummy very much. I miss Abah badly. I miss home.

Til the next posting back in KL then.