Thursday, March 22, 2007

Knackered And Totally Knocked Out


I couldn’t sleep for the past three nights; I’d be dozing off by 10 pm but would be wide awake at midnight and stayed awake ‘til dawn. It was just so frustrating and exhausting. All my attempts at getting back precious sleep didn’t work – reciting prayers, turning the pillow over, changing pillows, changing sleeping positions, even dragging myself out of bed to make a cup of hot chocolate. I contemplated taking half day off but that would be pointless as napping in the afternoon would affect my sleeping patterns anyway. It’s as bad as coming back from Haj a couple of years ago and worse than coming back from Europe last May. Heck, it’s so bad that I thought maybe I should consider taking some ‘flu pills, the ones that you have to take at night as they cause drowsiness. Whoever said going to the US would be fun?! I myself was not all looking forward to the trip because I just knew the post-trip Insomnia that would result.

So today, I decided I’ve had enough. I decided that I should go and get some sleeping pills from the clinic. I don’t like the idea of taking sleeping pills as I don’t want to be dependent on sleep-inducing drugs. But heck, I can’t take this involuntary vigil anymore. I can’t keep showing up at The Office looking like a zombie with my bloodshot eyes and yawning like anything during lunchtime and yet having to function like I’ve had an 8-hour good night’s sleep the night before.

Popped over to the clinic only to be told by the nurse that sleeping pills are controlled drugs so that meant I had to see the doctor.

Anyway, the doc assured me the pills she would prescribe me have no side effects whatsoever. I wouldn’t be dependent on them. And more importantly, I wouldn’t have problems waking up the next day. In her words, the pills are supposed to be hypnotic and calming. I needn’t have worried after all about being dependent on sleeping pills.

Phew, what a relief! Alhamdulillah. Let’s hope I can sleep better from tonight onwards. Amen.