Friday, August 11, 2006

The Office

I think it's only fair that I let you in on The Office I'm working in currently [as stated previously, TheOrganisation is undergoing a major restructuring so we will not remain officemates for long], or to be more accurate, some characters that are part and parcel of The Office.

As I've remained in the same department ever since Day One when I reported for work some years ago as a naive, wide-eyed, scared UK fresh grad and speaking mainly in English [so much so they call me Mat Saleh and refer to the UK as my home country], I have had the wonderful opportunity of befriending my officemates.There are interesting characters alright.

There are the two thick as thieves buddies though they are as different as night and day. One is a die-hard Liverpool fan Singh with a physique that towers over everyone else; the other is an Arsenal supporter of average built. They speak in the same footie language [they nickname Peter Crouch 'Koko Krunch'!] and they get along very well indeed. Oh they do have those wild spats every now and then but of course. I Sometimes refer to them for footie news and almost Always have a 'fight' with the Singh when he condemns Arsenal. But the Singh has a kind heart; he was the only one to offer me financial help should I needed it when I was pickpocketed some time back.

There's the other Liverpool fan, whose laid-back approach to life and work combined with his great humour make him instantly likeable, bulky size notwithstanding. But mind you, do not be quick to dismiss him for his easy-going attitude as beneath all that is a genius mind. His size Sure belies his intelligence. He is one of the most brilliant persons I've had the pleasure of knowing. He's also the driver for our little Treasure Hunt team, a role he insists on since he claims he's too lazy to get out of the car to find the clues or buy the treasures! But like I said, we all like him so we allow him that and we do insist he does more than just driving us around at breakneck Speed.

There's the quiet, reserved other member of our Treasure Hunt team, also another brilliant guy. The only thing is he's a man of (too) few words so much so that I once actually asked him out of exasperation if he has some gold deposits in his mouth [yea, trust Adek to be forthright]. Because of his nature and disposition, I Don't Know Much about him. He's a pleasant person and perhaps he likes to be mysterious, the strong, silent type.

There's the lady who I feel like I've known since forever. She's patient and accommodating. I can go up to her at any time and ask her questions and she will listen to me, never mind that I've asked the questions many times before. I can confide with her anything [if I choose to]. I consult her on things I cannot decide on or simply don't know [and mind you, there are a lot of things I don't know/understand!]. She consoles me, lends a sympathetic ear and empathises with me.

There's the beautiful friend of mine who is not only blessed with looks but also with brains. I don't know how she manages to juggle her work and family. A very nice, pleasant, likeable, easy-going girl who goes out of her way to help others and with whom I've shared a few Secrets.

There's the lady I affectionately call Auntie [and doesn't mind it too!] who kindly gives me a daily lift back. She's thoughtful and kind and has high tolerarance level - despite working for and with difficult people at times! She queries on my personal life - and since she's my adopted Aunt, I don't resent her queries [though I may choose not to answer and she respects that] - and lends a listening and sympathetic ear to my woes.

There's TheBoss' secretary who Sometimes acts as if she's the boss. She has a temper too and woe behold if she loses it. But I must admit that she is good at her job.

There's the lady who I suspects spends beyond her means [and to support her spending takes out loans]. I'm not that close to her and since she's not asked me to lend her money [not that I'll ever lend money to people, 'cause I'm a SINNER, i.e. Single Income 'N Not Enough Reserves and my parents are not WOOFS or Well-Off Older Folks], I won't interfere into her matters. Enough said.


There's the tight-fisted, calculative lady who is not only extra careful with her money but also with everything, including time spent working with TheOrganisation ['if I come to work on a non-working day, will TheOrganisation reimburse me for my time?']. She can advise you the most economical brand of dental floss to buy per metre; the best value-for-money brand of jelly mixture per gram; the best diapers/sanitary pads to buy per piece etc. I kid you not. Such people do exist!

There's the guy I can talk to about a lot of things, from work to personal stuff. We insult each other occasionally but he overdoes it at times that I had actually sulked once or twice before. He can be really sarcastic and hurt my feelings [and I'm a sensitive girl].

There's my MacGyver-Wannabe atheist friend from the other block whom I can talk to about almost anything and everything under the sun. He's one of those few rare males I feel comfortable talking to and I actually do enjoy our conversations. Just like the Singh, he also fancies himself a ladies' man. He has a great sense of humour and we Always insult each other, both knowing we don't mean it. He's Always advising me to find myself a Mat Saleh, reasoning that only Caucasians can understand my thinking and ideas. My, I must be so confused and confusing that the locals cannot understand me!

And then there's the confused and confusing La Nina Miss Shopaholic 'chic chick' me [to whom some people refer to for sales news, oh dear!] who occasionally stamps and stomps around, huffs and puffs when she's not pleased, laughs and talks a bit too loudly, and generally just being me.

Oh and let's not forget The Others who I don't know well enough because of circumstances [different portfolios, different blocks, different bosses], ass kissers and goody two-shoes included.

I'm so going to miss (most of) them. Some mornings I waltz in and seeing the Singh, comment innocently, 'Hey, Liverpool lost Yesterday, didn't they?'. Other times, I'd exchange snide remarks to the last two guys I mentioned above; exchange the latest gossips, my heartaches, insecurities and fears with my lady buddies; or be blowing my top. Actually as much as I complain about meetings, some of them are quite fun because of the colourful characters we have in The Office: one would be playing games on his PDA [I think that's what it's called, pardon my ignorance with all these techie gadgets] and nodding occasionally as if he is really following the discussion, another would start asking questions only for some of us to be asking more questions of our own [it's like he stimulates the questioning session], and others just sitting quietly. I'd chip in occasionally [can't just sit there and look pretty, y'know! It takes effort too!]. If the meeting gets boring, I'd people-watch and laugh silently with my friend over the glazed looks around us.

I'll miss exchanging those snide remarks and light banters, sharing jokes, gossips and Secrets, going out for meals and Staff Days, and participating in outdoor activities with my buddies. *Sigh* Yes, I Sure am going to miss most of them. I wonder what the future holds. Between you and me, at times, it looks bleak and dreary.