Monday, June 12, 2006

Footie Fever

The first Monday after the World Cup kicked off. Left early Friday evening and was in bed wayyy before 10. Was actually wondering in my semi-comatose state when the alarm was going to go off and when I got up, I realised it was already 1 sth am. Oh uh. That meant I actually set the alarm for 12 noon Saturday instead of 12 midnight. Duh! Yes, although Adek prides herself of being able to convert time from 12-hour to 24-hour and back again, well, mistakes still happen. Not late enough to be able to catch some action though.

The usual house spring cleaning was done Saturday morning and as the weather looked dismal, I found myself debating whether I should go out or stay in. Went out anyway and even watched The Omen. Euuww, spooky. Had a great time Shopping after that before going home for a date with the World Cup match between England and Paraguay.

~~~~~~~~

(sing to the Three Lions' song)

It's coming home
It's coming home
It's coming
Football's coming home
It's coming home
It's coming home
It's coming
Football's coming home

~~~~~~~~

England displayed a dismal, lacklustre performance, not something you'd expect from a World Cup match. They were Lucky they were helped by the Paraguay own goal and held on desperately to that. Sheesh. Lampard did attempt some attacks, kudos to him but God knows what happened to the rest. The referee wasn't that impartial in my opinion. I found myself hurling colourful curses as the match progressed, disgusted with how the game was going. Keep to this pace England and you're definitely going home - without the Cup.

Another gloomy start to Sunday. Went out to KLCC for more retail therapy and more damage to my wallet. My handphone battery was precariously low thanks to the long chats on Friday evening and Saturday morning. No, as much as I'm into the World Cup, you'll be glad and relieved to know it wasn't any conversations with any footie bookie. Anyway, the barely alive cell battery meant no one could call and disturb me when I was darting in and out of stores. It must be the new shopping bag I purchased the weekend before because whenever I passed through the doors of some stores, their alarms went off. Wow, talk about a walking alarm trigger.

The match between the Netherlands and Serbia & Montenegro last night was more packed with action and although I wasn't particularly rooting for either one [I actually wanted them to draw], I enjoyed it. The poor Serbs were unlucky but they did put up a gallant fight. Previously, Trinidad & Tobago which made their first debut into the World Cup scene played superbly to hold Sweden to a goalless draw, despite having one player sent off.

Woke up this morning to see the great Angolan defence in the last 20 minutes of the match, wonder how the Portuguese first goal got through in the first place? It's Australia vs Japan later today and after that USA vs the Czech Republic. Will definitely want to wake up tomorrow morning for the Italy-Ghana meet. Woo hoo! Definitely don't want to miss the sight of those great, hot-looking Italian eye candies running around.

I'm definitely having the (still mild) World Cup Fever!!! Ole ole ole ole...